Possible First Time Ford Product and Explorer owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible First Time Ford Product and Explorer owner

Ford_Newby

Reaction score
I am considering my first purchase of a Ford product. I bought a Tacoma Truck about a year ago and I have found I am not a "truck guy". I like the style of the Explorer, a little better gas mileage, the idea of buying American and the fact I can still go HD on the weekend and put some mulch and a plant or two in the back. I would also use the roof rack on vacation and pull a small trailer with a Seadoo or two.

If you could go back and buy your Explorer again is there anything you would change or wish you had added. Any surprises that came up in the finance office you would of negotiated differently. I am looking to pick up a 2012 XLT if I can find the right price.

I have been driving Honda, Toyota and Mazda for the last 20 years and getting 200K out of everyone with very few $ spent to get there. Can I expect similar life in the Ford products coming out today?

Thanks for any help or direction and I hope my next post is a picture of my new Explorer :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a limited with polished wheels, moonroof, bucket seats, and rear console. I have no regrets... I debated back and forth on the towing package but decided I probably wouldn't use it. Got the bucket wests since I have two infant seats but had to give up the 7th passenger spot...that is one disadvantage compared to a pilot or Odyssey. Also I chose not to get awd because I wouldn't use it much in the south, it had worse mpg, and extra cost. Likewise the ecoboost just seemed too wimpy and wasn't worth the loss of power and extra cost compared to the measly improvement in mpg (ecoboost in 2013 sport is different)

I am considering my first purchase of a Ford product. I bought a Tacoma Truck about a year ago and I have found I am not a "truck guy". I like the style of the Explorer, a little better gas mileage, the idea of buying American and the fact I can still go HD on the weekend and put some mulch and a plant or two in the back. I would also use the roof rack on vacation and pull a small trailer with a Seadoo or two.

If you could go back and buy your Explorer again is there anything you would change or wish you had added. Any surprises that came up in the finance office you would of negotiated differently. I am looking to pick up a 2012 XLT if I can find the right price.

I have been driving Honda, Toyota and Mazda for the last 20 years and getting 200K out of everyone with very few $ spent to get there. Can I expect similar life in the Ford products coming out today?

Thanks for any help or direction and I hope my next post is a picture of my new Explorer :)

If you don't need 7 passenger seating and money isn't a problem, go with the rear bucket seats and the console. Much classier look IMHO and an undocumented feature is that the bench seat in the 7 passenger does not slide back and forth but the buckets will (and you even get an extra inch of legroom in the back seat with the buckets). I believe you may also get the upgraded leather seats which are pretty decent. They aren't the Nappa leather in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but they are not bad and the front seats are both heated and cooled. Cooled seats are really nice!

Also,
I absolutely love the gadgets in the 302A package as well - blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control (love it!), collision avoidance, it parallel parks itself (how cool is that!), and I believe in a 2013 they have lane sensing.

The Navigation is nice too. It's not the best nav in the world, but voice control works fairly well for me and it fits my needs.

In sum,it really depends on your budget, but buy the best Explorer you can afford.

the one feature I would recommend against is the DVD players. For the $2,000 that Ford charges you, you could buy 2 iPads and mount them to the back of seats and still come out comfortably ahead. There are also aftermarket ones that work just as well for a fraction of the price. I've also heard complaints about the DVD head rests being uncomfortable.

Welcome to the Forum Ford_Newby. :wavey:
Prior to leasing my Explorer Limited, I had leased 3 Highlanders. In fact the '09 still had 2 1/2 years to go when I switched to the Ex. I have no regrets and would do it again.
I would strongly recommend that you purchase the Ford ESP because of all the on board electronics. Also, I recommend getting either the Husky or Weathertech floor and cargo mats. There are threads on this forum that talk about both. From what I read in your post, I think the cargo mat is a must have. Don't bother with the Ford all-weather mat although I believe their cargo mat is fine.
Jump in anytime if you have questions or concerns. The members here as well as Cory and Rebecca, the Ford reps that monitor the Forum, are always happy to lend a hand.
Happy shopping. :):thumbsup:

Peter

...Thanks for any help or direction and I hope my next post is a picture of my new Explorer :)
Welcome to the forum, Ford_Newby; the Explorer is an amazing ride for vacations! You came to the right place to get feedback, as you can see from the replies. LOL Be sure to check out this page for the “Build & Price” and “Search Dealer Inventory” tools:

www.Ford.com/suvs/Explorer

...I have no regrets... I debated back and forth on the towing package but decided I probably wouldn't use it...
...Also,
I absolutely love the gadgets in the 302A package as well...
phareous & jrmexplorer,

Thanks for taking the time to post your recommendations, guys! :):thumbsup:

...The members here as well as Cory and Rebecca, the Ford reps that monitor the Forum, are always happy to lend a hand.
Happy shopping. :):thumbsup:...
I really appreciate the shout-out, Peter! :D

Cory

The Navigation is nice too. It's not the best nav in the world, but voice control works fairly well for me and it fits my needs.

If you get a Nav that works. Mine doesn't work for about the first 30 minutes of every drive, morning and evening commutes to work.

OK, I'll leave now and let you all discuss your working Explorers and how much you love them!

:D:D

Back