Status
Not open for further replies.

97sprt4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Jerz
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Mazda3 GT
Not sure what thread this is supposed to go in, but i searched for this and the only thing that came up was 5.0 exhaust stuff...

I have a 97 exp sport SOHC and i have 4 cats similar to the 5.0s and i was planing on redoing the exhaust because the shop that installed my stock exhaust messed it up so bad i have to get rid of it..

i was planing on useing a cherry bomb vortex muffler dual in with 2.5 out

Is it possible to remove the rear cats on a 4.0 and have performance and sound gains? i know i need cats, but the 5.0's get away with just two, is it possible to take the rear cats off of a 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

now now

I never said "bad person"

It's possible, i just don't know anything about it. Oh, and "the law" is not a giant blanket. You can do whatever you want to a vehicle that does not have to go through emissions or inspection, like a trail vehicle or a historic vehicle.

i got the stock 4 cats on my 01 sport and its with the 4.0 sohc engine

eventually i wanna remove 2 of the cats

Ok-please be careful with a cats-removal question on these forums. It seems as that will get your thread closed quicker than a political debate. But to answer your question properly I have seen people remove the rear cats (keeping the stock front ones in place and operational) without any negative effects from the computer. If you are going to replace with just two I would look into a set of high flows which will supply more than the necessary amount of exhaust flow. If you are looking at running a dual inlet muffler I have a used Magnaflow I will sell at a great price. Sizing is dual 2.5 inlets and a single 3.0 outlet. Please don't let the sizing scare you as a good muffler shop can install this without a problem.-j

Oh, and "the law" is not a giant blanket. You can do whatever you want to a vehicle that does not have to go through emissions or inspection

That just isn't true...and is more of a "blanket" statement than any other here. A vehicle that isn't registered is one thing ( a race car for example) but one registered for street use has state, local, and federal laws to abide by. Federal laws are valid wherever you live in the U.S.

I are the confused --
I have a 97 exp sport SOHC and i have 4 cats...
I thought the SOHC's came with two cats (my brother's 97 and my 98 both had 2 cats -- both 4.0L SOHCs 4dr). One sits off to the passenger's side of the transmission and one sits under it next to the transmission pan. Is it only the Sports that came with 4 cats?

I are the confused --

I thought the SOHC's came with two cats (my brother's 97 and my 98 both had 2 cats -- both 4.0L SOHCs 4dr). One sits off to the passenger's side of the transmission and one sits under it next to the transmission pan. Is it only the Sports that came with 4 cats?

I'm not sure of the exact details. but i know that on my ex, i have two up under the dash closer to the manifolds, one on each pipe, then i have two down underneath the truck more down toward the muffler, one on each pipe for a total of four.

Justin

I had 2 on my 96 OHV and I removed the back one and put all 2.5" pipe from there back without any probs for over 30 000 km's now.

Gotta close this one down. Sorry.

The site does not condone, nor endorse this type of modification, as it is very illegal.

Do so at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back