• Register Today It's free!

Possible head gasket problem...

Loren Smith

Reaction score
City, State
Girard, PA. 16417
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi all. I need some advise please. My 2001 ST (SOHC 4.0) quit running the other day. Codes are 301,302,303...misfires on #1, #2, #3. I surmised it was timing related so I started taking stuff off, preparing to pull the motor. (motor has 60,000 miles on it). When I got the intake manifold (some call it an air horn) off, I noticed liquid laying on the intake valves for #1, #2, #3. It was too runny to be oil and it looked like water. Felt like oily water or antifreeze. Intake valves for #4, #5, #6 were fine. Blown head gasket?? If the answer is yes, do I need to replace both sides? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all. I need some advise please. My 2001 ST (SOHC 4.0) quit running the other day. Codes are 301,302,303...misfires on #1, #2, #3. I surmised it was timing related so I started taking stuff off, preparing to pull the motor. (motor has 60,000 miles on it). When I got the intake manifold (some call it an air horn) off, I noticed liquid laying on the intake valves for #1, #2, #3. It was too runny to be oil and it looked like water. Felt like oily water or antifreeze. Intake valves for #4, #5, #6 were fine. Blown head gasket?? If the answer is yes, do I need to replace both sides? Thanks in advance.
CORRECTION! I checked a little farther and the liquid is gasoline. Looks like raw fuel has been dumped into that whole side. Could this be an O2 sensor issue?

Since you are getting misfire codes, and lots of extra gas, need to check you are getting spark to those cylinders. Check the spark plugs. One side of the bank the spark plugs wear on the opposite side of the electrode. If the spark plugs aren’t double platinum plugs you could have excessively worn plugs. My truck, one of the banks the plugs had like 50k on them and were only single platinum plugs and looked like they had 300k miles on them. Or Might be as simple as the coil is bad. But before you go into a ton of effort verify you are getting good spark.

Success (sorta)!! I pulled the plugs and rolled it over. Driver side cam/chain etc turned with the crank. The PS did not move at all. Tore it completely down and pulled the jack shaft out it 2 pieces! Happy that I found the problem. Now, where the heck can I get one??

Ouch, How are the passenger side valves and tops of the pistons. Cause I assume you have some bent valves, as it effectively skipped timing. The passenger side has a timing chain on the back side of the engine and the jack shaft connects that chain to the front chains. To specifically answer your question I would check one of the Ford dealer parts website (Tasca Ford Parts is one I like to use) and find the part number for it.

Back