• Register Today It's free!

Possible heater core

Brittney Jones

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
I'm looking for some advice I have a 01 Sport Trac that I'm having some water pouring out issues and I believe it's the heater core from what I have read and what have people told me but I still am not a hundred percent sure there is a metal pipe coming out of the firewall towards the bottom passenger side that is leaking water coolant mixture but nothing is leaking on the passenger floorboard if anybody could help me that would be great thank you

The metal pipe coming out of the firewall is actually the drain line for the A\C evaporator core section.

The heater core is also contained in that area.

If you have coolant as you say dripping out of that tube there is a very high probability that your heater core has ruptured.

The A/C system (when used) will drip quite a bit of water from the drain, but there should never be any coolant/antifreeze coming out unless the heater core is leaking. Is the coolant level in your radiator/overflow tank going down?

Try collecting a sample of whatever is coming out of the drain. It should be nothing but clear, distilled water.

Replacing a heater core is a big job, you can a try adding a bottle of a product called K-Seal to your radiator (shake the bottle well first), turn on your heat and let the engine idle for 20-30 mins. It wont hurt anything and it might stop your leak, I've had very good results using K-Seal on various coolant leaks. It's considered a permanent repair and remains active in your cooling system to repair any future leaks.
s-l1600.jpg

Back