Possible over heating problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible over heating problems

mlamb146

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2006 Explorer 4.0 v6 XLT 4wd with 144,000. Recently when starting the engine and driving a short distance the temperature gage runs all the way up to hot and the temperature light comes on. The gage will then go down to the normal range and the light goes off. Doesn't matter if the ac is running or not. I checked the coolant over flow tank and it was a little low so I added some coolant. The engine sounds like it is also revving louder. Thought it might be the thermostat needing replaced. Any thoughts?

Yes, definitely sounds like a sticking thermostat. Sounds like time for a flush and fill along with a new thermostat and O-ring. The louder sound is just the fan kicking on high to help cool the engine down so nothing to worry about there. Just be careful to not over tighten things on the thermostat housing and crack it.

Thank you that is what I was thinking and thought I better get a second opinion. I bought it used so I figure it is still the original thermostat but the coolant has been changed.

Back