• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

possible SAS sticky?

Okay, the SAS has been quite popular on this forum for a while now. Id like to sticky a few good examples, so as to maybe get a guideline on the different ways to do a SAS. I need a good generic thread on radius arm SAS, leaf spring SAS, and any other thing you can come up with.

The general idea is this- have one each of say the radius arm/coil, leaf, 4-link, etc. stickied at the top of the section as a reference. Think of it has a list of "most useful SAS threads" right here in the offroad forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
FYI- im thinking maybe Section525 for the leafspring one. There are tons of radius arm/coil so i need to come up with one that is right to the point and had good pics and info.

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
If you do this which is a good idea you have to add IZ he has a great example oh how to do something that some of us didnt even think about...

But i think that you would still need to keep a coil front end...

Also snowborder has a nice sas with leafs

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
SAS stickies

i would nominate IZwack for for multi-link SAS and Section 525 for leaf spring SAS. Both were long write ups but defintly good ones:salute:

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
We need to separate 1st and 2nd gens as well, since the frame and engine x-member are different.

There have been a few that have used the RE long arm design, like Jefe, DB_1 etc...

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
We need to separate 1st and 2nd gens as well, since the frame and engine x-member are different.

There have been a few that have used the RE long arm design, like Jefe, DB_1 etc...
I agree, but at the same time i dont want to make the sticky list too long. If you make it half a page long it just gets ignored. (right?)

Maybe, if we come up with enough stuff here to divide into 1st and 2nd gen ill make one thread, with links to the different sas threads, and sticky that. Maybe?

Like i said, this is the members forum and i want to give you guys what you want. Im no God here so what you say i do... come up with some ideas and ill do it to make you guys happy. This aint jamest's forum... this is yours. Make some suggestions. :D

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Don't worry about making the sticky list too long. Once it starts getting too big we'll add a sub-forum to this forum for all the stickies.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Oh, and if you need to alter the title of the thread to make it more clear as to what it's topic is, go ahead and do that:thumbsup:

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
I like the idea of seperate 1st and 2nd gen sas stickys. They are similer, but the 2nd gens are a bit more complicated, with the steering issues;)

'97 V8

Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
stic-o for the rad arms gets my vote. Everything was cleaned up and easy to see where he mounted everything. Izwack for the linking along with Jefe, and section525 for the leafsprings.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I would like to see SAS threads maybe copied and cleaned up of extraneous conversation so that people wanting information don't have to read through so much stuff. Not necessiarly edit the original thread, just copy and paste the important stuff.

daddy_ja

Reaction score
City, State
glendale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer EB
why not just have a locked sticky with a list of everyone that has done an SAS and links to there threads (if they have one). That way people can take ideas and experiences from eveyone to combine into there own build. Or is that to large of a task?

zhanx

Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
or ask them guys that have done. the ones you want to write a thread on it. links to pics etc. and lockum up ..

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
I think seperating first gen's from second gen's is a good start, then sub forum into the different types of suspensions...radius arm, leafs, links;)

I should write up a thread in the SAS registry which would be a condensed version of my build up thread. It ended up being completely different from what I had planned in the beginning so a lot of wasted time would be spend sifting through pics and text that doesn't pertain to the end result.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
I like the ideas so far. Itll be Friday before i have a chance to do this, so keep the suggestions coming. I think thusfar im going to try to sticky one of every example for 1st and 2nd gen, and maybe add to the title so its clear as to what the thread covers.

I dont mind "cleaning up" threads that get stickied, but ill ask however's thread gets moved first. The problem with getting rid of all the chit-chat is sometimes there is chit-chat within chit-chat in a thread and once you prune out all that is irrelevant there will be parts that dont make sense. Well see. :)

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Okay, ive got a list. I need a 1st gen leaf spring swap and a 2nd gen 3 or 4 link swap.

Yomie

Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
Okay, ive got a list. I need a 1st gen leaf spring swap and a 2nd gen 3 or 4 link swap.

1ST GEN LEAFS i would say Notajp

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
how about me for leafs? It was just done recently so its all fresh in my head plus the end results seemed to be a bit better than NOTAJP Im willing to dive into a more indepth writeup, but if we really want to get some helpful threads id say we should ask therookie, hes basically done 3 or 4 of these now and has it down to a science.

My SAS stuff is in the sig, if you want I can make another condensed down to just the good stuff.

attachment.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

daddy_ja

Reaction score
City, State
glendale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer EB
very impressive!!!