• Register Today It's free!

Possible shock issue? needs ideas

wessker96

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt
Alright I have my suspicions but want to get a consensus. I have a 98 xlt with 190,000. As of last week I added 31 inch mud tires and just did warrior shackles and TT. Replaced sway bar links a month ago they were shot.

So first trip down the highway since new tires and lift, coming off one ramp and on to another highway at 50 mph I hit a pot hole. It felt like the front end was going to come through the cab, as well it felt like I lost a little control (the wheels bounced a different way then I was going to start with). I never had and issue before the new set up.

Upper and ball Joints the rubber is cracked but I feel no play at all when truck is lifted. So yeah the prob need replaced but to feel to be root cause. (could be wrong)

My guess is the shocks. With the new weight of the tires and hitting a pot hole at high speeds it bottomed out and bounced the truck. I just got the truck about two months ago and I believe it still has stock shocks on them. (black tubes right?) Any way to test the theory? Does this sound like the problem to you guys as well? I will replace the shocks anyway but want to get this problem fixed first time in.

Anything else it could be?

Any suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question, you said your wheels bounced in directions other than where you pointed them. Did it throw out your alignment? Living in south jersey ive bent 4 sets of inner tie rods in a year. As far as you tire size and the tt-shackles i cant see that being an issue UNLESS you cranked your t bars to the MAX and now have a next to rock hard ride. Your ball joints shouldnt be a contributing factor. If the are sloppy and dying odds are if the hole you hit is as drastic as you say you'd likely have ripped them apart

Also try the ol bounce test to check the rebound of your shocks, or check them to see if they are leaking

Your new tires and lift shackles combined with the TT all contribute to a very rough ride.
190K on OEM shocks is like not having shocks. Replace them before you break something.

Quick question, you said your wheels bounced in directions other than where you pointed them. Did it throw out your alignment? Living in south jersey ive bent 4 sets of inner tie rods in a year. As far as you tire size and the tt-shackles i cant see that being an issue UNLESS you cranked your t bars to the MAX and now have a next to rock hard ride. Your ball joints shouldnt be a contributing factor. If the are sloppy and dying odds are if the hole you hit is as drastic as you say you'd likely have ripped them apart

No didnt through out the alignment just as it bounced I had to regain control. after that was fine...other than now weary of pot holes.

Only went 1.25 on front, want to retain cv as long as possible.

Your new tires and lift shackles combined with the TT all contribute to a very rough ride.
190K on OEM shocks is like not having shocks. Replace them before you break something.

I have noticed when going over road humps and or speed bumps it is alot rougher mainly when the front tires drop down off of it......I figured it was the shocks especailly with the extra weight from the tires but yeah I agree I need to replace before I break something else. Or just scare the sh.. out of me again... I just wanted to get an idea on it.

I appreciate the input and will get back to you once new ones are on.

Dependant upon your body weight lets say its 170ish if you jump up and down a few time and hop off the truck should bounce really no more than 2 times after getting off. Granted its not a coil sprung truck were you can tell if the shocks are toast by using 3 fingers to make the truck bounce. Irregaurdless id still replace the shocks. Dont skimp out and go cheap, itll turn out a moot point.

Dependant upon your body weight lets say its 170ish if you jump up and down a few time and hop off the truck should bounce really no more than 2 times after getting off. Granted its not a coil sprung truck were you can tell if the shocks are toast by using 3 fingers to make the truck bounce. Irregaurdless id still replace the shocks. Dont skimp out and go cheap, itll turn out a moot point.

Yeah figured with new set up

Appreciate it,
and btw 140

The only way you could have absolutely no suspension is if you replaced your torsion bolts with longer ones and have your torsion keys all the way maxed out. So agreeing with slickemhoundd you could be maxed and have no bounce to your front end

Back