Possible spare tire size of 3rd Gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible spare tire size of 3rd Gen?

zpaperboyz

Reaction score
City, State
Prince Rupert, BC,
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hi Guys,
What's the biggest tire anyone has gotten in the spare tire location. Any chance I can squeeze 33's when I get them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll have the full works done in the next little bit.

My current spare is a 255/70/17 which is roughly 31x10. It was a tight fit between the hitch and the heat shield in front.

Got a 265/75/16 tucked up in there on my 05'

zpaperboyz-

You squeeze that 33" in there? I'm leaning toward BFG A?T's @ 265/75/r16's (31.65") or 265/70/r16 (30.7"). I may change my mind if they don't fit in the spare well. A bit of sheetmetal massage wouldn't deter me...

If it helps on my '06 I am running 265/65/18's without any rubbing and the spare fits under the truck. Any bigger and you more than likely will have rubbing and spare issues.

Zpaperboyz Thanks for asking this. I was just thinking yesterday on the way home. I wonder if one of the 255/70 16s I have on the ride now would fit if I took off the stock spare and put it on after I put the 265/70 or 75's. I will do that so the spare diff. won't be too big from the tires on the ride. I know it should be the same but that is close.

STU

I haven't bought my 33's yet, RB spacers going in this weekend then I'll figure out spare space.

If it helps on my '06 I am running 265/65/18's without any rubbing and the spare fits under the truck. Any bigger and you more than likely will have rubbing and spare issues.

It fits because it's only a 31.5" tire.

For a 33" tire to fit in the spare location, significant trimming and/or modifications would have to take place, on a 3rd Gen at least.

hey potroast .trying to pm you about your ex did you get?

Back