Possible thermostat issue.

94AeroCook

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar
Hey Everyone!

I've picked up a 1994 Ford Aerostar for five hundo. I'm having a problem with the thermostat, I think. Anyhow, this sight came up when I was searching the internet.

Has anyone ever had a problem with the engine getting hot while in motion, then cooling back down at rest? This one is a little weird.

Cook

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thermostat issue can be corroded water pump

I had wandering temperature problems recently with a newly purchased '96 Aerostar XLT Sport. It was finally diagnosed as a water pump issue, and when they pulled it out, found the tines on the pump wheel totally corroded, as in disappeared. I was told that with aluminum heads and an iron block, the two metals set up an electrical current, which makes the antifreeze acidic, which then eats away the water pump blades. That's why the antifreeze needs to be changed every two years, I was told. Replacing the water pump solved the problem. Good luck.

I've been chasing temp issues in my van for sometime. It's not overheated but it's been leaking coolant very slowly.
I've replaced the water pump, radiator, hoses, engine block freeze plugs (a couple had small leaks), and the heater control valve(which has a crack in the plastic and was leaking coolant).
Just replaced the T-stat tonight.
Post some pictures or more info. Right now I'm feeling like an Aerostar cooling system star!!!
-Scott

Back