Possible to Supercharge the 3.7L Engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to Supercharge the 3.7L Engine?

rwc117

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Interceptor Utility
So we all know the 3.7L V6 found in a large number of PIUs is pretty robust, and I've been watching videos where people with 2014-era V6 Mustangs are racing people with the V8 Mustang and performing admirably - the V6 is no slouch and it's lighter than the V8. (They're still losing...but it's not by much.)

The Youtube rabbit hole being what it is, I ended up watching a couple videos where people had Supercharged their V6 Mustang with a bolt-on kit, and were suddenly awash in power from their engine. Search "Supercharge v6 2014 mustang" in Youtube. Pro-charger claims 50-60% more horsepower, and the videos seem to back it up.

2011 V6 Mustang Under Hood Photos | ProCharger

Now I know that just because it's the same engine, doesn't mean that any part will work for it. THAT BEING SAID...will a bolt-on part like this work on the PIU engine? Has anyone heard of anyone using one of the V6 Mustang Superchargers and putting it in their Interceptor?

I imagine the big issues would be: Fitment & tuning. Secondary issues would be the engine rattling the car to pieces. I don't know, I'm looking for the wisdom of people more mechanically inclined than me to weigh in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are dealing with the same basic 3.7 NA engine in the Mustang and your Explorer, then the rub will be the packaging of the supercharger components. People have adapted supercharger kits made for SN95 Mustangs, onto 2002-2010 Explorers, same basic NA 4.6 engines. But it wasn't that easy for them to do it, it took lots of thought and planning, some minor fabricating etc.

So find the Mustang kits you are considering, and research how the base engines compared in those, to your Explorer. If the compression is comparable, and the engine bay space is similar where the kit parts go, then it may be feasible.

From Pro-charger's installation manual: "The engine on which the ProCharger® is to be installed should retain the factory compression ratio. If it has been modified in any way, please consult ProCharger staff before proceeding with the installation."

I assumed the hard part would be the way the parts are arranged. It feels like I have a lot of room in the engine, but that might not mean very much.

I don't know enough about motors and engines to make a proper evaluation if the parts will fit. I presume that the hood clearance on a PIU is larger than the clearance on a Mustang, but I have nothing to back that up other than the ultra-simple logic that Ford Explorers are larger than Ford Mustangs.

Most clearance issues will be to the front, side, and rear areas. The Mustang kit will be made for a low hood yes, but the space in the other areas might be better in the Mustang. Hunt more and see if someone has already discussed it for the Explorer, or done it.

The mention of compression in the instructions is about the kit being made for the Mustang's compression. That's what i referred to when I posted be sure the Explorer 3.7 is similar to the Mustangs, in that way for sure.

I believe compression is same for both (10.5:1). However, it may be a bolt on part for the mustang, but it is not a bolt on part for the PIU, regardless of the fact they may be similar engines.

I would say it's possible to implement the same supercharger on the PIU. All you need to do is fabricate the mounting hardware, route the intercooler tubing, and reprogram the ECU. Nothing is insurmountable, but it is never cheap doing what is effectively a one-off.

If I were interested in doing this, I'd contact procharger direct and ask them what it would cost to develop something. I don't think there is anyone else in a better position than them to provide an answer on a retrofit of their own kit to another vehicle. If they can't/won't help, maybe ask them for a referral to someone that does that kind of custom work with their kits.

Per Drew at Pro-Chargers, they've fielded a lot of calls about the idea, but nobody has ever followed up or implemented anything so they can't really say if it's 100% compatible.

They do have a very detailed install guide on their website, so I guess if someone were a mechanic they could look at the install guide and determine if/when/or even how this whole thing would work.

Per Drew at Pro-Chargers, they've fielded a lot of calls about the idea, but nobody has ever followed up or implemented anything so they can't really say if it's 100% compatible.

They do have a very detailed install guide on their website, so I guess if someone were a mechanic they could look at the install guide and determine if/when/or even how this whole thing would work.

That's the place to start, get the installation guide and see what it looks like. A good installer or mechanic can get a great idea of whether it can be done feasibly, from that and good pictures.

They have a link to dealers that sell their products, so maybe find one close and have them look it over.

Or if someone is close to Prochargers HQ they may be able to arrange a visit for them to check it out.

Maybe prochargers should put together a kickstarter campaign to see if there is enough interest in developing and making a kit for the PIU. If there is, then they could make it. If not, they would just return the funds. It seems like a pretty low risk way for a specialty business to operate and gauge interest in today's world.

I would love this for my PIU, I also have a MKZ with the 3.7. If I could do both..oh man what a difference that would make.....hmm.
I think the biggest issue is that they are made for longitudinal engine mounting and not with the engines turned sideways like in the PIU and my MKZ. I looked at mine and according to pictures for the prochargers, the mounting of them, mounts to the front of the engine and with our 3.7, that would require a lot of fabrication to make them work in the small space in front of the engine. I think it could be done if you know a fabricator that could mount it in a way it would work, but cost more money to mount it..
I like this idea but I don't know anyone around me that could do it, probably have to talk to a fab shop that installs them and see if they could make a "kit" for it.
I just looked and they do make a kit for the 2000 Focus and it looks like it mounts it lower in the engine bay...so it might be possible.
Anyone living near a big city, look on their site ProCharger Supercharger Auto/Truck Dealer Locator | ProCharger and see if there is a shop close to them and see if they could make a kit to fit it
I love this idea, if its possible to do...

Your issues are going to be real estate. Pro Chargers and Vortech are centrifugal super chargers. They're belt driven. They need to be mounted in the front of the motor. Something like an Eaton might be "better" off, still belt driven, but they have a snout and they're mounted on top of the motor.

You want to add a power added, turbo is the way to go, (twins would be even more fun) you can mount it anywhere you want. Hell, you could do a remote mount turbo underneath and no one would know you had it.

Your issues are going to be real estate. Pro Chargers and Vortech are centrifugal super chargers. They're belt driven. They need to be mounted in the front of the motor. Something like an Eaton might be "better" off, still belt driven, but they have a snout and they're mounted on top of the motor.

You want to add a power added, turbo is the way to go, (twins would be even more fun) you can mount it anywhere you want. Hell, you could do a remote mount turbo underneath and no one would know you had it.
Ford has already done the turbo option and if one wants to go that route, they would be better served sourcing a 3.5EB rather than the 3.7NA . I assumed the whole point of this thread was what options (bolt on or close to it) are there for those that want more from the 3.7NA optioned vehicles.

If I am mistaken about the intent of the thread, then I would like to suggest just pulling the entire engine/drivetrain and replacing it with an LS or a Coyote? Dump the AWD and just go RWD.

So I started getting the bug for a new project, despite me knowing better to mess with my daily driver lol.... But I love unique builds. I've previously built a turbo kit for my GSXR 750 from scratch... and for many years I owned a company developing 2nd gen RX7 and 1st gen DSM tuning products.

A roots or screw type supercharger doesn't really work because these are 60 deg V6s. It's very difficult to get the manifolds to work without increasing the height of the motor significantly because the area in the V is so small. Well this is what I read in my research.

So I plopped down some cash for a procharger mockup unit. I believe it will fit but wanted to play around with it and see what would be involved.

I'm not too worried about the mechanics of it (assuming there is room), I just don't know what is available for tuning options. I was told there's some "Diablo" software that the mustangs use to tune the OEM ECU. No idea if it will work on the FPIU. One step at a time I suppose.

I'm pretty sure HP Tuners can be used. It supports the 3.5. 3.7 Isn't a whole lot different.

Would be good to get the PIU 3.7 tune in the repository as well.

I contacted HP tuners and they said it should work. Thanks for the tip!

I contacted HP tuners and they said it should work. Thanks for the tip!

Please throw a copy of the factory tune in the repository. It will he helpful for all of us!

59881619_135053614311519_8382443877981113900_n.jpg

No problem...

Seems like the "front" of the motor is different than on the mustang...for one there is a motor mount there. But it's also not as flat as the mustang. But I totally think it's doable.

Hold my beer while I start a gofundme. lol.

Of course you could always update to the 2020 Twin Turbo that puts out 400 Hp :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course you could always update to the 2020 Twin Turbo that puts out 400 Hp :)

Do you mean the 3.0T from the last two years of Lincolns?

Back