• Register Today It's free!

Possible to switch bumper covers?

Ryon40

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport 4x4
Here recently Ive been looking at the 1999-2001 front bumpers and gotta say they look a ton better then the earlier ones IMO. Im looking into getting my X painted and said to myself that I dont want the same bumper on the front. So can a 99-01 front bumper cover be put onto say a 98? Would it matter if it came off a different sub model like an xl instead of another sport?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep it's a direct swap! You just need the wires that go to the fog lights.

Outstanding! :D
So Im guessing there is a difference in the fog light wiring between the years?

The fog lights have a short section about 18" long which plugs into the connector next to the radiator on each side. The fog light end is different for the different lights.

You should be closer, I'd sell you my 98 bumper, minor trailer hitch square dent. I'm repainting soon with an XP8 bumper.

The fog lights have a short section about 18" long which plugs into the connector next to the radiator on each side. The fog light end is different for the different lights.

You should be closer, I'd sell you my 98 bumper, minor trailer hitch square dent. I'm repainting soon with an XP8 bumper.

I guess Ill see when I get into it what your meaning lol.

Im more of a fan of the 99-01 bumper covers they just look more aggressive but thanks!:thumbsup:

If you want to go from Left to Right, just undo the 4 bolts, remove old bumper, with wiring, replace with new bumper, and add new wiring... job done

12032008.jpg

These 2 are the same year!

Si

Yes, and decide if you want that style, or the one with chrome around the fog light area/corner, or the Mountaineer style.

Attachments

• Moven 18x8.5 72lbs.JPG
    Moven 18x8.5 72lbs.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,082

The Mounty fronts dont look too bad either. I think Im sold on the front without the chrome around the fog lights:thumbsup:

Thanks again for the help:salute:

Yes, and decide if you want that style, or the one with chrome around the fog light area/corner, or the Mountaineer style.

Can someone tell me what year front end that is on the mounty? Thats exactly what I need to set off mine once the wife turns loose of it.

99 Im pretty sure

98-01's are the same.

Back