(Possibly) about ready to pull the trigger on an '02 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(Possibly) about ready to pull the trigger on an '02 ST

Kung

Reaction score
City, State
FLW, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 F150 STX, 4.6L
Hey all - obviously am brand spanking new to the forum. :) I work and drill near FLW, MO; and saw an '02 ST, 4x4, power everything. 130K on the odometer, but it's in fantastic shape; and they're wanting about $7200 for it.

I'm familiar with the owner; I know them to be fastidious (e.g., they kept a little notebook in the dash with a list of any and all repairs made). Thus far, other than the obvious stuff (tires, filters, brake stuff, etc., as well as tranny flushes and oil changes), the only things that needed done were

a) replacement of a brake line when they hit something driving around downtown St. Louis, and
b) replacement of the rear diff. carrier bearing and pinion bearing at 98K.

Also called the dealer who services this vehicle (whom I've also purchased a vehicle from - I trust them 100%.) They did mention that at 99K the owner complained of a 'sound coming from the area of the tranny' but their senior tech didn't find squat.

SO...anything I need to know in particular? I've already realized I need to take this for an interstate drive to see if I hear the dreaded timing chain rattle; any other thoughts? If the older ones aren't that great quality, are the newer ones (2005+, I think it is) better off?

Any and all information and advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow. I will sell you my 02 ST with 4x4, 140k, all maintenance records and zero problems fully modified with $7500. I've got about $1500 in upgrades over the last month, alignment, full flush on transfer case, transmission, and front and rear diffs.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331920

oh yeah, and brand new brakes all components all the way around and brand new wheels and tires last week.

Hey all - obviously am brand spanking new to the forum. :) I work and drill near FLW, MO; and saw an '02 ST, 4x4, power everything. 130K on the odometer, but it's in fantastic shape; and they're wanting about $7200 for it.

I'm familiar with the owner; I know them to be fastidious (e.g., they kept a little notebook in the dash with a list of any and all repairs made). Thus far, other than the obvious stuff (tires, filters, brake stuff, etc., as well as tranny flushes and oil changes), the only things that needed done were

a) replacement of a brake line when they hit something driving around downtown St. Louis, and
b) replacement of the rear diff. carrier bearing and pinion bearing at 98K.

Also called the dealer who services this vehicle (whom I've also purchased a vehicle from - I trust them 100%.) They did mention that at 99K the owner complained of a 'sound coming from the area of the tranny' but their senior tech didn't find squat.

SO...anything I need to know in particular? I've already realized I need to take this for an interstate drive to see if I hear the dreaded timing chain rattle; any other thoughts? If the older ones aren't that great quality, are the newer ones (2005+, I think it is) better off?

Any and all information and advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

$7200 is too much for a ST with 130k. I got mine for $9k- 54k miles and in perfect condition.

Yeah, too much. Should be around $5-5,500 with those miles without those problems. I'd look elsewhere to be honest unless he'll drop it to $4,500 with those issues, the rearend is gonna cost a pretty penny.

I DO want to point out that I said "They're WANTING $7200." Not that they'd get it. :)

As it was, I'd done enough research to know that the whole timing chain thing was not something I want(ed) to get into...and called the owner back.

They replied "Oh...so that's what that faint rattling noise is."

:rolleyes:

I'll keep looking. :)

Good call.

Good call.

+1

It took me a while to find the ST I wanted. I knew they all couldn't be so torn up and beat to crap. Luckily I didn't have to buy immediately and that allowed me to be patient. I eventually found mine in mint condition and haven't had any regrets. Good luck.

Back