Possibly getting an 2021 or 2022 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibly getting an 2021 or 2022 XLT

Explorer75

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Possibly getting an 2021 or 2022 XLT how is the transmission issue (shifting issues), has it been resolved?
What about carbon deposits in the intake valves? Maybe it´s too soon but are there any cases yet?

Thanks for any info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought our 21 XLT in early may. No shifting issues (just over 2000 miles so far).

As far as Carbon deposits, I own a 2016 F150 Ecoboost 2.7 truck that is DI only, and have zero issues with deposits. Hopeful the 2.3 is the same deal, and a google search only turns up lots of chatter and concern (and sales pitches for catch cans)... Since its been around since 2015, if it were an actual issue you'd think you'd find a lot more than that.

Possibly getting an 2021 or 2022 XLT how is the transmission issue (shifting issues), has it been resolved?
What about carbon deposits in the intake valves? Maybe it´s too soon but are there any cases yet?

Thanks for any info
FYI, if you are looking at a 2021 you will have to buy one off the lot now. As for the 2022,, you can order one starting July 12th, There are many threads on transmission issues with the 6th gen Explorer but after checking some of them, I didn't see any 2021 owners posting about theirs.

Peter

FYI, if you are looking at a 2021 you will have to buy one off the lot now. As for the 2022,, you can order one starting July 12th, There are many threads on transmission issues with the 6th gen Explorer but after checking some of them, I didn't see any 2021 owners posting about theirs.

Peter
Yes, I know 2022 models aren´t available yet. Thanks for the info thou.
I´m not in a rush, I´m just looking for info, I know that the more I wait, the better, so 2022 and later could be a good choice, it´s interesting to read that for 2021 maybe the transmission issues are solved, thanks!!!

Bought our 21 XLT in early may. No shifting issues (just over 2000 miles so far).

As far as Carbon deposits, I own a 2016 F150 Ecoboost 2.7 truck that is DI only, and have zero issues with deposits. Hopeful the 2.3 is the same deal, and a google search only turns up lots of chatter and concern (and sales pitches for catch cans)... Since its been around since 2015, if it were an actual issue you'd think you'd find a lot more than that.
Yes, that´s what i was thinking, adding a catch can for peace of mind but maybe it´s just not needed. Thanks for your reply.

I purchased a 2021 XLT in March 2021. Currently, we have driven approximately 3,700 miles. So far, the 10 speed transmission has been flawless. I installed the JLT catch can at about 2,500 miles. Wife took it on a long trip after the install, I just checked the catch can and it had about 1/4" of oil in it. Having the catch can gives me piece of mind since it obviously has some oil coming through the PVC system. I have a catch can on my F150 (also with the 10 speed, no problems) and V-8 Mustang and they both catch quite a bit of oil. My daughter has a V-6 Mustang and her catch can gathers a lot of oil.

So far, we love the Explorer. As with all newer vehicles, it has too many bells & whistles, so lots of things to give problems down the road. However, all new vehicles have all this "stuff". My best friend bought a new Malibu for his granddaughter and it does all kinds of weird things and gives lots of messages (and won't start sometimes). It has lived at the Chevy dealership with no solutions yet.

We purchased out '21 LTD in late May and just put 3000 miles on it during a long trip. Performed flawlessly including the transmission. Ours is a later build date which might have made a difference (3/21).

Welcome to the Forum dgc76. :wave:

Peter

Thanks Peter

Thanks for any info
So, I labored (seriously labored) over purchasing my 2021 Explorer. I had read about the 2020 launch and was deeply concerned with what I was reading. But after looking at a number of other vehicles, the Explorer was the one I kept gravitating too, so I decided to take the plunge. I started with the 2021 Limited Hybrid. Let's say my experience was not very good. For one, I had a hard time with the degenerative braking ... which felt odd compared to conventional brakes. But I am convinced I could get used to that in time. The show stopper for me was the rough shifting from a stop. I don't know if it was the electric transitioning back to gas (which I suspect) or issues with the transmission. But back it went to the dealer and I swapped out (at added expense) to a regular gasoline V4 turboboost Limited. It has about 2500 miles and I have been driving it for about over a month and I am 100% pleased. No issues, the transmission shifts nicely, and I am incredibly suprised and pleased with the performance of the v4 Ecoboost. Coming from a V6 Ecoboost Expedition, I was prepared for it to feel underpowered. But I must say, I have never been wanting for pick-up. It drives the vehicle very nicely and I like the gas mileage. All to say, I have no regrets on the 2021 Explorer in the end and from my research, it seems that most of the worst of the 2020 Ford Explorer debacle is behind us. Hope this is helpful.

dont buy the turbo 4cyl go for the 3.5 the trucks too heavy for 4 cyl especally fully loaded skip turbos on gas engines if you want to have long life. turbos are the ones with carbon when also having direct ingection

dont buy the turbo 4cyl go for the 3.5 the trucks too heavy for 4 cyl especally fully loaded skip turbos on gas engines if you want to have long life. turbos are the ones with carbon when also having direct ingection
Huh?

If you are talking explorer, the 3.5 isn't an option on this generation and had its own issues in the last gen. Your options are the 4 cyl 2.3 ecoboost, 3.0l v6 ecoboost or 3.3 v6 hybrid.

As for my f150, the 2.7 v6
ecoboost is in every way a better engine in the F150 than the 5.4 V8 equipped truck it replaced.

Huh?

If you are talking explorer, the 3.5 isn't an option on this generation and had its own issues in the last gen. Your options are the 4 cyl 2.3 ecoboost, 3.0l v6 ecoboost or 3.3 v6 hybrid.

As for my f150, the 2.7 v6
ecoboost is in every way a better engine in the F150 than the 5.4 V8 equipped truck it replaced.
havent read 2021 till today. i would no longer purchase a ford explorer after owning 3 i look for the last of the real wheel drive with the 4l v6
to replace my 04 . looking at the spec. bty when looking at f 150 used the 2.7 are very low compaired with the v6 natural asperated
if you like yours great but load that up or trailer tow any ammount of time or weight its not going to last as long as a v6 or v8

There are no transmission issues in my 2021 so I'm not sure if the issues you read were early 2020 builds that have all been improved with software updates.

Just a heads up Chicago Assembly Plant will be going down again for 2-3 weeks of shut downs possibly more, 2022 Job1 could get pushed so if you want a new vehicle I would grab off a lot now or wait till early 2022.

There are no transmission issues in my 2021 so I'm not sure if the issues you read were early 2020 builds that have all been improved with software updates.

In response to another post, I went through the threads on transmission issues and the posts were all from 2020 owners.

Peter

I purchased a 2021 XLT in March 2021. Currently, we have driven approximately 3,700 miles. So far, the 10 speed transmission has been flawless. I installed the JLT catch can at about 2,500 miles. Wife took it on a long trip after the install, I just checked the catch can and it had about 1/4" of oil in it. Having the catch can gives me piece of mind since it obviously has some oil coming through the PVC system. I have a catch can on my F150 (also with the 10 speed, no problems) and V-8 Mustang and they both catch quite a bit of oil. My daughter has a V-6 Mustang and her catch can gathers a lot of oil.

So far, we love the Explorer. As with all newer vehicles, it has too many bells & whistles, so lots of things to give problems down the road. However, all new vehicles have all this "stuff". My best friend bought a new Malibu for his granddaughter and it does all kinds of weird things and gives lots of messages (and won't start sometimes). It has lived at the Chevy dealership with no solutions yet.
Interested in your install on the catch can. I've seen the you tube video where you have to do this from underneath and its getting harder for me to work underneath the cars ( getting older). Catch can on my V8 Mustang is half full after about 2500 -3,000 miles. I did not install one on our 2.0 ecoboost Escape but thinking about it on the Explorer 2.3. I also kind of feel that useing hi grade fuel can prevent this carbon build up problem.

Yes, that´s what i was thinking, adding a catch can for peace of mind but maybe it´s just not needed. Thanks for your reply.

I would add a catch can. You would be surprised how much it catches (pun intended). I empty mine every 5,000 miles and there is a decent amount.

I added a catch can to my ST not long after I got it. Haven't checked it yet but I plan to empty it every oil change. I also have a UPR billet oil drain valve that will get installed on the first oil change.

Amazon product ASIN B081D6RB2V

havent read 2021 till today. i would no longer purchase a ford explorer after owning 3 i look for the last of the real wheel drive with the 4l v6
to replace my 04 . looking at the spec. bty when looking at f 150 used the 2.7 are very low compaired with the v6 natural asperated
if you like yours great but load that up or trailer tow any ammount of time or weight its not going to last as long as a v6 or v8
Anyone saying they are looking for a 4.0 SOHC shouldn’t be allowed to give recommendations on what a good motor is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interested in your install on the catch can. I've seen the you tube video where you have to do this from underneath and its getting harder for me to work underneath the cars ( getting older). Catch can on my V8 Mustang is half full after about 2500 -3,000 miles. I did not install one on our 2.0 ecoboost Escape but thinking about it on the Explorer 2.3. I also kind of feel that useing hi grade fuel can prevent this carbon build up problem.
It was a little difficult to install as you have to get underneath it. I pulled mine up on ramps and had difficulty seeing to take the pvc line loose. I would recommend getting it on a lift so you could see a little better.

Back