• Register Today It's free!

Possibly Leaking Radiator?

temposs

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
Have a 97 5.0 Explorer with some cooling system issues. Today, on my 40 minute trip home from work, I noticed my temperature needle bouncing up/down between midway and close to the H. I stopped a few times along the route and let it cool down. When I finally got home, I popped the hood to find a good amount of coolant on the right side (opposite the cap side) of the radiator/parts near the radiator. There was also some steam raising from the area near where the upper radiator hose connects to the radiator. I removed the hose (which was on snuggly) when the vehicle cooled, and couldn't visually see any cracking. I assumed the issue was with the radiator.

I yanked the radiator out in about 20 minutes, and to my surprise I couldn't locate a crack/hole. The radiator is covered by plastic on both sides (right near the upper hose connection), so I'm thinking it could possibly be cracked behind the plastic. I tried plugging up the connections and filling it with water, but still couldn't see any signs of leaking.

Has anyone else had this happen before? Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Anything other than the hoses/clamps that I should replace along with the radiator itself? Should I bother changing the thermometer while I'm at it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could pressure test to find the leak.

I had this exact problem occur to me last winter except my coolant loss wasn't as severe. I was able to get by adding coolant until the weather warmed up. My leak was on the right side of the radiator between the plastic tank and the aluminum core on the aft side near the upper radiator hose connection. I think there is some sort of gasket between these two surfaces that fails over time, but given the number of tabs holding the tank in place and their brittleness I didn't try to rebuild it. I actually thought it was the upper radiator hose at first so I replaced it and the clamps to no avail.

You can get a UV die and light kit to trace the leak to make sure, but it sounds like you know where the problem is. I bought my new radiator from Advance Auto Parts for $160 by buying online and picking up in store. Used the coupon code "P20" to get 20% off the $200 sticker price. Also got a new radiator cap (didn't come with one) and plan to change the thermostat soon.

I just took my '98 to the shop to have my fuel pump replaced, and while I was there they said that I had a radiator crack and should watch my temp gauge. What is a good safe temp for the engine to be at in the summer?

Have a 97 5.0 Explorer with some cooling system issues. Today, on my 40 minute trip home from work, I noticed my temperature needle bouncing up/down between midway and close to the H. I stopped a few times along the route and let it cool down. When I finally got home, I popped the hood to find a good amount of coolant on the right side (opposite the cap side) of the radiator/parts near the radiator. There was also some steam raising from the area near where the upper radiator hose connects to the radiator. I removed the hose (which was on snuggly) when the vehicle cooled, and couldn't visually see any cracking. I assumed the issue was with the radiator.

I yanked the radiator out in about 20 minutes, and to my surprise I couldn't locate a crack/hole. The radiator is covered by plastic on both sides (right near the upper hose connection), so I'm thinking it could possibly be cracked behind the plastic. I tried plugging up the connections and filling it with water, but still couldn't see any signs of leaking.

Has anyone else had this happen before? Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Anything other than the hoses/clamps that I should replace along with the radiator itself? Should I bother changing the thermometer while I'm at it?
If you're doing a radiator I should do both hoses and thermostat and gasket also a good flush

Back