Possibly looking a 4th Gen. What Issues Should I Be Aware Of? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibly looking a 4th Gen. What Issues Should I Be Aware Of?

cantornikolaos

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Callsign
BigTime
While I greatly prefer First-gen Explorers, They are getting hard to find in the area I'm looking with the equipment I want. I was just punching different years on CL and seeing what pops-up. I saw a nice Eddie Bauer V8 model. It looks really good. I specifically want Eddie Bauer package, V8, towing package, and AWD or 4x4. I'm gonna be driving in the winter in the north.

The First Gen is probably better for that since the Cologne V6 in OHV and the cam is in the block.

What are issues with this model that I should look-out for, and how can I mitigate them? I know there are some issues with the 6R60 transmission. Are those issues that can be avoided with religious maintenance? I don't know anything about this transmission. Does it have the same issues as the 5R55? Or are they electronic problems, like solenoids failing? Software problems?

BTW, I had my 2004 Explorer's transmission rebuilt at 206k. I've put close to 30k on it since then and it has performed well. Hopefully, that means it will have a long and happy life.

Keep in mind, some second gen Explorer still had the OHV 4.0 and for some years both were available

Keep in mind, some second gen Explorer still had the OHV 4.0 and for some years both were available

Yeh...
I've got a '97 with the overhead cam 4.0. It's a glorious piece of yard art.
Except it hides behind the barn, wanting a 5.0.
I have the 5.0 and everything to put in it.
Except time.

FML.

Back