Possibly totaled the sport trac Thursday(pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibly totaled the sport trac Thursday(pics)

Switching lanes on a one way street, looking over my shoulder to check my blind spots and the delivery truck in front of me hit his brakes because in his own words, "the parked car up ahead looked like it was going to pull out in front of me." When I looked back around there he was, and I desperately tried to get out of the way and SMACK! Both airbags, dashboard, hood, bumper, mirrors, windshield, drivers window, etc. Was only moving about 10-15 MPH Keeping my distance, but it was like hitting a wall. And because I hit him, I got a ticket. Pretty sure they are going to total it. I'm bummed but, I'm OK and it's only a vehicle.

Attachments

• 0113011516.jpg
    0113011516.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,617
  • 0113011517.jpg
    0113011517.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,616
  • CIMG2336.jpg
    CIMG2336.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,544
  • CIMG2337.jpg
    CIMG2337.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,662

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just because "they" totaled it, doesn't mean it IS totaled. $2000 would go along way towards fixing it. It appears very doable. Do all the "grunt" work yourself by stripping all the broken stuff off, bring it to a body shop just to straighten out the pillar, shop around for the correct color parts from a junkyard (or an actually totaled parts truck- rear hit?), bolt them on yourself and go.

I agree with you and I'll tell you where the truck is if your intersted? But with 2 little kids at home and 2 jobs, I'm not interested or do I have the time to do that work. Besides, I wasn't all that impressed with the 4.0 sohc(timing chain) and the 5r55e(1-2 shift flare) The 5.0 with 4r70w is a stout powertrain and I'd like to go back to that. :biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking forward to the new Ex! :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you at least got something out of it. I think totaling it and walking away would be the best idea. I wouldn't trust the A pillar after a hit like that. You would end up having to cut the roof off of an old one and weld it on. More work than its worth really.

Looking forward to the explorer :thumbsup:

Sorry for your loss. I had an underhood electrical system fire on a heavily modified 96 eagle talon tsi awd. The insurance company totaled it out. Wrote me a check for $7800 and I bought the totaled car back from the insurance company (Geico) for $250. I rebuilt the wiring harness by hand (all soldered & heatshrinked.) Sure it has a salvage title now but even like in your case where the shell might be suspect it still had a lot of valuable parts.

let em total it, buy it back for a few hundred, so your at $1700 or so, and part that bi@tch out.. to the final tune of $3500 and up!

If you don't want to part it out. buy it back and I (or one of the few others here on EF) will buy it from you..

Either way, your still UP money!!

Sorry to see your misfortune there buddy. It seems everyone and their uncle is getting those small convex mirrors to help with blind spots these days. Might be something to help you on the next one. They should come standard like they do on commercial vehicles instead of some fancy, error prone, blind spot sensor system.

i use those mirrors all the time whether its parking, switching lanes or watching a close tree on a tight trail. They come in handy.

Glad to hear you at least got something out of it. I think totaling it and walking away would be the best idea. I wouldn't trust the A pillar after a hit like that. You would end up having to cut the roof off of an old one and weld it on. More work than its worth really.

Looking forward to the explorer :thumbsup:

You mean like.............

2002SportTrac023.jpg

0907116-1.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhh, it's worth it.

091023006.jpg

WOW that totally sucks i know how you feel tho, except mine didn't make it out.
Glad you made it out ok!
Cartruck8.jpg

My truck
Cartruck20.jpg

The guy who pulled out in front of me.

Back