• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Post pics of your commuter bike

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
So, I used to ride a bike to work during the summer a couple years ago. I didn't do it last summer, but decided to dig it out and fix it up to ride again this summer. Help me save as much gas as possible. It's probably a little too much for a town commuter bike, but my ride is almost 10 miles one way with most of that on a rural highway. This bike is perfect for the task, it's old, but reliable, and can take a decent beating, as it has multiple times. Anyways, it's an old Trek 320 road bike.

Maintenance performed:

New Bottom Bracket
Cleaned and degreased EVERYTHING
Handlebar tape to be replaced
Wheels to be trued
Everything adjusted properly
Chain and sprockets all cleaned and lubed with Teflon lube

I still have to bring it to a shop to have the wheels trued and the handlebar tape put on. I would put it on myself, but last time I did it, it didn't turn out well, and didn't stay in place. I've tried truing wheels too, but don't have proper equipment and I'm not patient enough.

So here's a pic with no handlebar tape:

bike.jpg

So those of you that commute with a bike, what are you riding? I'd like to see some pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Gus Gorilla

Reaction score
City, State
The Cradle of Naval Aviation
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4X4
I don't have a picture but my commuter bike is a Wally-World special with a 33cc weedeater motor attached to the back wheel. Just can't kick that internal combustion engine addiction.:D

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
I have four bikes that I use for various things, but this one is my purpose-built commuter.
Flat Black 1.JPG

Flat Black 2.JPG

Flat Black 3.JPG

I took an 87 Schwinn Columbus Cro-Moly frame, stripped it down to bare metal and repainted it. Some of the parts are brand new, but the brakes are the same 105 calipers it rolled off the store floor with. They stop like anything. It's actually a "dingle-speed". I run a dual-chainring and the singulator is designed to work with two chainrings. I could actually run a triple if I kept the difference between the small and large rings to within 20.

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
Yea, mine has it's original brakes I believe too. They are the same kind of calipers as yours, and you're right, they stop well. Especially since mine got new shoes not to long ago. The only problem with mine is the rims are likely original, and beat up pretty bad. I have to true them at least once a year. The old Cro-Moly frame is tough as nails though. I've wrecked this thing and thrown it into pickups and just plain abused it. Never broken anything on it.

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Yea, mine has it's original brakes I believe too. They are the same kind of calipers as yours, and you're right, they stop well. Especially since mine got new shoes not to long ago. The only problem with mine is the rims are likely original, and beat up pretty bad. I have to true them at least once a year. The old Cro-Moly frame is tough as nails though. I've wrecked this thing and thrown it into pickups and just plain abused it. Never broken anything on it.

And if you price out cro-moly frames today, you're lucky to find a complete bike with one for under $2K, and they really aren't that much lighter either. Bomb-proof and a really sweet ride. Both my mountain bike, and my single speed 69'er are steel frames as well. I love them.