post servo install fluid check 5r55w | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

post servo install fluid check 5r55w

copdodger

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
okay, so after over a year of having the o-ring servo fix things sitting in my closet i finally installed them yesterday. anyways, so today i was going to check the trans fluid since i figured it would be a little low due to losing a little while swapping the servos, (1/4 quart or so), but when i pulled the center fill plug on the trans, it was pouring fluid out as fast as it could. i probably lost a half to full quart due to dropping the plug in the pan and having to hunt it back out.

i figured nothing would come out as i lost fluid and had my trans recently checked and they said the fluid was at the right level so i know it wasn't overfilled to start with. soooooo, did changing the servos allow all the fluid to drain back into the pan which is why the fluid is coming out the fill plug?? i assume that is what it did, but am afraid to start the car and have catastrophic failure.

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running?

If you checked it with the engine off, the pump isn't circulating the fluid and the level in the pan will be high. So now it might be at least a quart low or more.

okay, started the car anyways, ran the trans from p to d then through 3 2 and 1, the back to park a few times, crawled under and checked fluid again. this time it as a heavy drip. i figured i was okay, so i took her for a spin around the block, i think i got it into 4th gear, all gears shifted fairly well, better than they had been prior to fix. pulled back into driveway and checked fluid again and it was still a heavy drip.

so if i lost atleast a quart of fluid, why is the level still saying its okay?? i haven't ran it through all the gears yet, but it just strikes me as weird ....

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running?

If you checked it with the engine off, the pump isn't circulating the fluid and the level in the pan will be high. So now it might be at least a quart low or more.

no, i didn't check it with the engine running, i know now i should have but at the time my logic was that since i lost fluid, the level would be low, so i could check without it running, and just add a little to bring it back up to normal. then when it started streaming out, the plug slipped from my hand into the pan and i lost ateast a quart i would say, looking in the drain pan maybe even more than that.

it just gets me that even after driving it, it still was dripping from the fill hole, maybe i need to get it to go through all the gears an into overdrive?? that worries me though cause if the fluid is low thats just causing damage i would think

Back