Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Well, I met up with the "guys" today before they went out to the Slabs. It was great meeting everyone and seeing all their rigs. It looked sweet with them lined up on the street. I also gave a few rides in Splat. The streets were wet, though, so I couldn't show off that much. Oh well. Here are the pics I took before everyone left:

View

View

View

View

Dead Link Removed

Hope everyone gets back with a good report! Actually, in honor of this slab run, I did some wheeling at work today. I was in mud up to the rims, and powered out no problem. Mud flew everywhere, but Splat made it through. One rear tire was up almost to the center cap. I was surprised my open 3.27 2wd made it through, but it did! Most of the mud flew off on the highway, but Splat is still pretty dirty. Maybe I'll put some more pics up tomorrow. I should have had my camera with me, but left it at a friend's apt. Oops! In fact, a Ch'vy Silverado got stuck there. I don't know the specs of his truck, though. They used the camp tractor to pull him out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, well I'm not going to get into the story, I will leave that for the other guys and only share some pics. I would like to thank everyone for braving the cold and rain and joining us. This was quite an impressive showing of Explorers, especially from one area. To everyone else there was a couple on "incidents", since I did not see either, I will let someone else explain. Lets just say we made the front page of the local paper.(And no it's not a good thing)
Enjoy the pics and thanks again to all of the TEXplorers.
Dead Link Removed
Me, Michael, Wes U. aka MAV
Dead Link Removed
Gerald "cleaning" himself
Dead Link Removed
Michael testing out the new SOA
Dead Link Removed
Brian aka Trckmajik in his green beast
Dead Link Removed
Wes U. aka MAV, thank god for his winch
Dead Link Removed
Kubben tackling a Slab

[Edited by GJarrett on 01-28-2001 at 11:30 AM]

Slabs 3: TExplorers, uh, well, we'll make it home...

Before the "carnage" posts begin, I wish to opine that the run itself was an example of doing things right.

It rained all day and we knew going in it was going to be iffy. I'm still cold and wet as I write this and it is twelve hours later. I'm getting those random shivers once every few minutes (need another blanket).

We did play awhile on the near side of the river and it gave everyone an idea of what it is like to climb on "slickrock" granite - going nearly vertical even when the surface is wet - because there is so much traction. Oughtta get'em juiced for Moab, eh. Then we looked onward across the deepening river to continue the run.

The bigger rigs looked for ways in to make the river crossings and we found a place.

First right decision: to leave half the rigs at the staging area and have everyone pile into the capable rigs. That is a good thing done right. I want to commend those who left their vehicles in the staging/airdown shoals area for their common sense and maturity. I took Kris and Kubben into the crossing so they could get a closer look and the three of us made an educated judgement call concerning whether to bring other vehicles in. It is very easy to succumb to peer pressure and push it, but every vehicle that needed to stay at the shoals did so. The maturity to say "no, I ain't trying this" is in my mind admirable. I have often seen that decision-making ability lacking on other runs.

After starting in to Eagle Rock, Jesse didn't make a river crossing and "stalled" (hydrolocked) his engine. Getting him out took a couple of hours (give or take my estimated time accuracy - it seemed like five hours!). Second right decision: do not start the engine while in the river.
Dead Link Removed
With the help of mav's winch and TWO helpers (a huge K5 and a Toy[whatwuzzit?] - both with something like 39x18 Boggers) we finally got Jesse out. Third right decision: having all the straps/ D-clevis bolts/ etc to get the job done and also the towpoints to hook them to the second we needed them.
Dead Link Removed
Okay - hydrolocked engine. No big deal, removed all sparkplugs, spit the H20 out, and Jesse was good to go again. Fourth right decision: coming prepared (thanks Michael!) with all the tools needed for any engine work. If we did not have the means to remove his plugs we would still be out there (add a spark plug socket to your trail equipment list if you haven't already done so). I personally am religious enough to believe that we got some good "Karma" by strapping out all of those lifted Blazers at the first of the run. Did anyone get a picture of the three of us side-by-side all simultaneously strapping out Chevy/GMC's all at once? That's gotta be a classic pic if someone got it.

Fifth right decision: upon witnessing 39x18 Boggers dig into sand right up to their axles, we called our own plans off. Think about that. We got into some extremely deep stuff out there.

The run itself was a failure but the implementation was a success. We had to abort but everyone came prepared and we had the ability and means to handle the adventure. It could easily have been much worse. I went Exploring for alternate routes through the river and had to get strapped twice myself. Even with my new locker, once traction was lost even slightly in the deep underwater sand, instantaneous digging up to the undercarriage resulted. We learned the hard way the Slabs is for dry weather. We got out of there and decided to camp out at a scenic local state park instead.

Six right decisions.

BUT: mav and Kris Guillbeaux got involved in an accident on the way to the state park and we spent a few hours with the local EMTs, highway patrol, etc; and at the hospital. I believe mav will be okay; at least he got out and ate with us after a thorough probing in the emergency ward. Kris's pretty paint job has much character now and I got to SawZall his front fender moldings while the Trooper was interviewing him :D. At least we got both mav's and Kris's vehicles mobile so noone needed a flatbed tow from the accident site. I had told mav that the trail would take his rear-exit dual exhaust off. I was wrong: Kris did it instead :rolleyes:
Dead Link Removed
I was in front so did not witness the accident and will leave other discussion to the rest of the group. I did want to emphasize that (apart from the unfortunate post-run traffic accident) the aborted run in my opinion was a success since we used common sense and aborted the run instead of trying to push on. That is sometimes a hard decision when a dozen people show up from hundreds of miles away but I believe we did the right thing. There is always tomorrow.

Though for the Slabs, for me tomorrow will have to be very dry next time.

PS/ concerning the Full Size Spare Issue: I still have my 255/70r16 original spare which I had to put on my left front when I blew a bead. Above 40 mph the computer worked like it was designed and released all drive to my front. I was able to travel the 200+ miles tonight to Dallas at 60 mph with no problem even though it is quite smaller than the other three BFG's I am wearing. I did notice though on the river that since it is the smaller tire the open diffy transferred power to it instead of my big BFG and under the conditions we were in rendered my front drive almost worthless: deep sand and I was spinning a Wilderness AT instead of a big BFG. I'll probabaly finally go ahead now and shell out bucks for a good aggressive tread fullsize spare. I do want to emphasize though that there has been much discussion on what would happen with an undersize spare and this helps attest to the fact that with it unlocked there should be no problem getting you home under normal conditions. We gotta think about the fact that the most opportune time to lose a tire is under the most ABnormal conditions, though. Food for thought.

[Edited by Sinjin on 01-28-2001 at 11:13 AM]

Dead Link Removed
Will my toes get wet here? :D

Re: Slabs 3: TExplorers, uh, well, we'll make it home...

Originally posted by GJarrett
BUT: mav and Kris Guillbeaux got involved in an accident on the way to the state park and we spent a few hours with the local EMTs, highway patrol, etc; and at the hospital. I believe mav will be okay; at least he got out and ate with us after a thorough probing in the emergency ward. Kris's pretty paint job has much character now and I got to SawZall his front fender moldings while the Trooper was interviewing him :D. At least we got both mav's and Kris's vehicles mobile so noone needed a flatbed tow from the accident site.

Did they hit each other? :eek:

That sucks!!! I want to know if they hit each other too? And what happened?

I'll leave it to the participants to explain what happened, especially since I am not a witness. It was a three car chain accident. The short version is that a yahoo in a Caddy managed to get into the middle of our caravan while we were on a twisty two-lane country highway and made an instantaneous "whoops that's my turn" hit-the-brakes-hard-and-turn-here maneuver.

Mav was following the Caddy and Kris was following mav. Mav learned the hard way about the physics of velocity and following distance on a rainslick road and hit the Caddy. Kris learned the hard way about the physics of velocity and following distance on a rainslick road and hit mav while mav was hitting the Caddy.

So which part made the local paper the accident or the water crossing??

Hope everyone is ok.

Here's a link to the pics of some of the "Incidents"
Dead Link Removed

Yes, I think everyone will be ok, thankfully no one was seriously hurt and the trucks can always be fixed.

Still in Austin, I was looking at the damage I am Going order the parts to fix my truck in the Morning. I need a lot of stuff to fix this... I have to fix this bad boy myself. I want to thank every one that helped me. As of now i have two Explorers to fix since the XLT is wrecked too..

Come monday I have a lot to fix.

[Edited by Kris Guilbeaux on 01-28-2001 at 10:52 PM]

You hit a older Catty!!! Thats like hitting a block wall.
I'm glad your ok. I hope the fix goes ok.

Well not much to say rather than what the other members said. I was glad to meet a couple new people Wes and Jesse and meet up with past Slab Run members. Seems the Slabs really hates us. I had just got home when I hear the phone ring and I see Rod's cell phone come up and I know there was no way this was going to be good news. It must have happened right after me and Jesse left because we saw Rod at a camp while leaving. I hope everyone is ok.

I'll just post some pictures that aren't repetative of the ones Sinjin posted.

brian.gif

Brian's giant Explorer
gerald.gif

Gerald taking on some rocks
blazerpull.gif

3 stuck Blazers
me.gif

Me
meagain.gif

Me steering Jesse's stalled, hydrolock WHATEVER YOU CALL IT! truck out of the water.

[Edited by kubben on 01-28-2001 at 01:34 PM]

Wow....What a day...

I hope everyone comes out "OK". We have enough carnage on the trails. Best of wishes to Kris & Wes. Trucks we can fix!

BTW, I'm in for a dry slabs run after April. Hope to be running next month.

Ok, Here is a few shots I got... I will post more later.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

[Edited by Kris Guilbeaux on 01-28-2001 at 10:56 PM]

Ouchie.

In looking at the Navajo damage, that's an instant total for the vehicle. Kris - I know of a few mazda recyclers out here in CA; they will ship anywhere in the US. Let me know if you can't find parts, or want to price shop - last time I took out my front grill, it was over $500 in plastic alone. I'll also send you the light I have - it's got water in it, but I'm not sure why after looking at it. It's for the side you hit, so that should save you about $100-$150.

Hope everyone has good insurance..

MAV
I got a Chrome Grill off of a 97 Explorer, If you need it I have it. The only thing is, it Does Not have the Honey-Comb in the openings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well guys I made it home okay yesterday. I was a little worried due to something going wrong on my big beast when I got to Austin. For those reading this maybe you can help? I am using about 30.00 dollars worth of gas every 100 miles or so. I am also black smoking every once in awhile, and you can smell the gas big time from the exhaust. A couple of us think that this may be my Fuel Pressure Regulator causing this. What do you guys think. I had a good time at the slabs for the short time we got to play. Good luck to everyone in there rebuilds and let us know how it goes. I will have some more pictures when I get my film developed.

Back