JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Post your DVD system pics

I'm in the market for a DVD system for my wifes 04 EB. I think i want head rest screens, but not sure what to do for the DVD player itself. So i'd like to see what you've got. It doesn't have to be head rests, anything will work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Kenwood DV-745 something or other in mine, together with headrest monitors x2, and reverse camera. And yes, It's RHD - I'm in Australia.

7-Interior_Front-med.JPG

8-Interior_Headrest_Monitor-med.JPG

9-Interior_DVD_Camera-med.JPG

Oh wow that is awesome, thanks for the pics! I think this is going to be a winter project on the explorer. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have invested in that?

I don't mind you asking at all. The RRP on the Kenwood unit was AUD$3299 when new, but I have seen them for $1999. The newer model with Ipod compatibility is around $1899, and I have seen them for $1399. That's around $1100USD. We were lucky as it was already in the truck when we bought it.

The screens in the headrests were about USD$250 delievered (from eBay, shipped out of HK). The reversing camera was around USD$200 - again, from eBay.

All the additional installation of the headrest monitors and reverse camera I did myself, saving on labor $$$$. I also replaced all the speakers, using US Audio 6" splits for the front, and Pioneer or Eclipse 5X7s in the rear doors (can't remember which brand).

Check out the head unit specs here (it's this years's model):

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Mobile_Video/KVT-719DVD

Thank you sir :thumbsup:

What if i didn't want to replace the head unit but still wanted the head rest screens and sound through the speakers, what are my options there?

underseat dvd player with audio going to the aux input jack on the stereo.

I dont think my 04 has the aux input on it.

Pioneer avic z1...Love it.
P1040015.jpg

z1_flipdown.jpg

WOW, that's awesome...

underseat dvd player with audio going to the aux input jack on the stereo.
Or DVD player under seat with the sound going to the headrest monitors - the ones I have have a speaker, and also a headphone jack. Obviously the speaker in the screen is not the best, but the headphones work pretty well.

i have an alpine IVA-W205.( http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W205 ). very soon to get the alpine PKG-M780 (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PKG-M780 ). this is a rear seat entertainment package that includes 2 headrest monitors and a 3 channel video switcher. basically what that means is you can watch something different on each tv at the same time. and the best part is that you can control all of it through the head unit.

here is a pic of my HU.(i have an 04 EB as well)

Attachments

• 42 008.jpg
    42 008.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 847
  • 42 004.jpg
    42 004.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 867

Wow that's a pretty clear picture.

I was thinking of getting a DVD HU....help me out here.....

From what i read....they don't work unless the "P" brake is on.....yet everyone seem to be driving down the road with movies on....

how is that?

Normally it requires grounding the parking brake wire..

Since were talking DVD setups, anyone with a sunroff do a drop down screen from the roof?

Normally it requires grounding the parking brake wire..

I have a pioneer HU now...usually I just get Pioneer, so I can unplug one HU, and just plug in the new one.....if I were to get a DVD HU, what would I have to do?

You mean how would you plug it in? Different companies use different wiring harness connectors. You'd probably have to take the Pioneer harness out and wire in the Alpine/Eclipse/ or whatever your looking at.

Is that what your asking?

I was thinking of getting a DVD HU....help me out here.....

From what i read....they don't work unless the "P" brake is on.....yet everyone seem to be driving down the road with movies on....

how is that?

On most the brake only matters with the display on the HU itself. If you have a video out going to more displays IE headrests, those aren't usually on the safety switch. The will change by model.

I know for the Alpines, there are bypass devices that you can hook up to bypass the vehicle being in motion to let navi, and video features work. Pioneer units have several different tricks to bypass the parking brake. I don't quite recall how each individually is bypassed, but I do know some are done through grounding the parking brake, and some have to be internally soldered, and some use multiple harnesses spliced together. Also one of them has a switch that you flip inside to bypass it. My Z1 is bypassed with a bypass device that was supposed to be used on Alpine units. The shop I went to used my head unit as the guinea pig for it. It worked and they let me keep it for free. It costs 50.00 dollars normally. Some head units you cannot simply groung the ebrake because there are devices inside the head unit that can tell when the vehicle is in motion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To get around the park brake issue, you just put the wire that would normally go to the parkbrake, straight to earth. Just join it into the black wire, and it will work all the time.

Back