postal rig 2004 eb 4.6

mcexplorer04EB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vergennes,VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer EB
so , i got a job at the post office as an RCA....wondering how you think she will do. 600 stops

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so , i got a job at the post office as an RCA....wondering how you think she will do. 600 stops
Well with the package load outs I see here in the country, that rig should do nicely. Don't use overdrive, too hard on the sketchy transmission. Along those lines, 3G Explorers are kinda high maintenance until you've gone through everything. Really only practical for pretty solid DIY mechanics. And masochists :) But seriously they are comfortable and very versatile.

Well with the package load outs I see here in the country, that rig should do nicely. Don't use overdrive, too hard on the sketchy transmission. Along those lines, 3G Explorers are kinda high maintenance until you've gone through everything. Really only practical for pretty solid DIY mechanics. And masochists :) But seriously they are comfortable and very versatile.
I appreciate the response.. I am definitely a diy mech and can see saving on maintenance...it will def be hard on it though,that is for sure.!!

I appreciate the response.. I am definitely a diy mech and can see saving on maintenance...it will def be hard on it though,that is for sure.!!
It will do nicely, and any help you need you are in the right place. The members here are absolutely top notch, wide spectrum, from beginners to real heavy hitters, high-end customs, and seasoned professionals. Looking forward to seeing you around.
Doc

It will do nicely, and any help you need you are in the right place. The members here are absolutely top notch, wide spectrum, from beginners to real heavy hitters, high-end customs, and seasoned professionals. Looking forward to seeing you around.
Doc
Have a great day Doc and keep smiling!! BTW, I am impressed with the knowledge on this site. Hoping this explorer is a joy to drive!!

Have a great day Doc and keep smiling!! BTW, I am impressed with the knowledge on this site. Hoping this explorer is a joy to drive!!
Thank you my friend! Looking forward to seeing you around here. Be safe be happy and be well.

Good luck with that 04 for mail delivery. The transmission is the first worry, the SOHC V6 if you have it even more so, and the rear suspension in those can be a PITA to rebuild. That's the hearsay of the 3rd gen trucks. I've got a 99 SOHC V6 that I've kept going fine, it needs extra care as you will read about on here.

I prefer my 302 Explorers for mail trucks, the AWD is great and the 302/4R70W are very solid. At this age any old car though you should worry about timing cover leaks, or a WP, the bolts tend to break when you remove them.

Gut the rear interior, you will want the extra space for parcels. My last two I pulled the rear seats and the center console, that let me drive them as they are, being just spares. I'm retiring so I'll only keep my 99 since I put so much time into it, use it as a dirty job SUV etc.

Here's a snow day from 2018 that I had on a route I carried for about a year. This was a good snow day, the temps were not bad before of after, so the snow didn't get packed and become ice.

Good luck with that 04 for mail delivery. The transmission is the first worry, the SOHC V6 if you have it even more so, and the rear suspension in those can be a PITA to rebuild. That's the hearsay of the 3rd gen trucks. I've got a 99 SOHC V6 that I've kept going fine, it needs extra care as you will read about on here.

I prefer my 302 Explorers for mail trucks, the AWD is great and the 302/4R70W are very solid. At this age any old car though you should worry about timing cover leaks, or a WP, the bolts tend to break when you remove them.

Gut the rear interior, you will want the extra space for parcels. My last two I pulled the rear seats and the center console, that let me drive them as they are, being just spares. I'm retiring so I'll only keep my 99 since I put so much time into it, use it as a dirty job SUV etc.

Here's a snow day from 2018 that I had on a route I carried for about a year. This was a good snow day, the temps were not bad before of after, so the snow didn't get packed and become ice.

Looks like fun, I'm in VT so I can expect some snow my eb is a 4.6 litre. thanks for the reply

Excellent, the 4.6 is a much better engine than the 4.0 for reliability. It also has a different trans than the V6, slightly better there too. Keep up with the full maintenance items, and it should all be manageable.

Excellent, the 4.6 is a much better engine than the 4.0 for reliability. It also has a different trans than the V6, slightly better there too. Keep up with the full maintenance items, and it should all be manageable.
Don’t the 4.0 and 4.6 have the 5r55w in both. Also the 5r55w isn’t great or good by any means but it’s no where near as bad as people make it out to be

Don’t the 4.0 and 4.6 have the 5r55w in both. Also the 5r55w isn’t great or good by any means but it’s no where near as bad as people make it out to be
Nevermind answered my own question the 4.0 and 4.6 have the same transmission, the bell housings different that’s about it but internally it’s the same

Pretty solid once you sleeve the servo bores and make some minor mods to the valve body.

The 4.6 uses the new for 2002 5R55W. ... The V8 trans has a very good wide ratio of gearing, and the solenoids of the VB are connected as a group(very expensive part).

Take care of them well, and almost all Ford transmissions are relatively reliable. Change the solenoids and accumulators when they are 10+ years old(each ten years), keep clean quality fluid in them, and they will last a long time. A VB kit is always a good idea, but most people skip that. I try to do that for all of my Fords, I like firmer shifts, and it lengthens the lifespan.

The 4.6 uses the new for 2002 5R55W. The V6 still uses the 5R55E, a much different trans, which began in 1997. The 5R55W isn't a lot bigger inside(strength of parts), but it is a little better than the 5R55E. The V8 trans has a very good wide ratio of gearing, and the solenoids of the VB are connected as a group(very expensive part).

Take care of them well, and almost all Ford transmissions are relatively reliable. Change the solenoids and accumulators when they are 10+ years old(each ten years), keep clean quality fluid in them, and they will last a long time. A VB kit is always a good idea, but most people skip that. I try to do that for all of my Fords, I like firmer shifts, and it lengthens the lifespan.
the 5r55E wasnt used in the third gens. 5r55w for 4wd applications and 5r55s for rwd. I know for a fact the 5r55E was never in the third gens. 2nd gens explorers And the 02 and 03 sport trac, aswell as the rangers but by the time the third gen explorer came out the E was replaced with the W/S and was no longer used

the 5r55E wasnt used in the third gens. 5r55w for 4wd applications and 5r55s for rwd. I know for a fact the 5r55E was never in the third gens. 2nd gens explorers And the 02 and 03 sport trac, aswell as the rangers but by the time the third gen explorer came out the E was replaced with the W/S and was no longer used
Okay you're right, I forgot that. They went to the transmissions which all have the same case for 4WD or 2WD, I remember researching the AWD TC for those to see if they(BW 4410) were any better than the originals(4403, 4404). I'll edit that from my last post.

Back