gday

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport +402A
Callsign
VK2XOC
Howdy - A bit of my history: In the 90s I owned an explorer, in 2000 I purchased a new expedition, in 2006 I purchased a 2003 expedition which has been on life support for the past few months - it now has 300,000 miles on it.

I hope to purchase a "Ford certified" 2013 Explorer Sport with 402A options next week. Any tips on what, if any, issues I should be inquiring about or looking into before I buy this thing? I figured that asking before I bought would be a better idea than days after :)

Regardless, cheers and I hope to rejoin the fun of being an explorer owner real soon!

-mick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer subforum where the right folks should see it.

Just make sure the power steering recall was performed and you should be all setup!! ;) After a couple of weeks you could consider different vendors to tune your vehicule and you "feel" it's a bit underpowered..... hehehehe .. ;)

Howdy - A bit of my history: In the 90s I owned an explorer, in 2000 I purchased a new expedition, in 2006 I purchased a 2003 expedition which has been on life support for the past few months - it now has 300,000 miles on it.

I hope to purchase a "Ford certified" 2013 Explorer Sport with 402A options next week. Any tips on what, if any, issues I should be inquiring about or looking into before I buy this thing? I figured that asking before I bought would be a better idea than days after :)

Regardless, cheers and I hope to rejoin the fun of being an explorer owner real soon!

-mick
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The best thing is to scroll through the 'Discussion' threads.

Here are some of the important ones;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323597&highlight=smell

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327803&highlight=water+leak

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445&highlight=water+leak

Have the dealer check to see if anything has been done about the steering issue. Not all Explorers have had this issue but those that have should have had the steering rack replaced. The TSB for the software update really doesn't do anything to address the issue.

Peter

Appreciate the feedback. I should note that I'm more than happy to review info in the various threads - I guess I'm just looking for keywords or issues I can search for and read about - so thanks for those so far.

-mick

No late model Explorer issues thread should not have this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326943

I just bought a 2015 Sport that my wife is the primary driver of and it serves as our "trip" car. I had searched this forum for Sport specific threads prior to buying and came away with an incomplete knowledge of the vehicle and it's issues. The above listed threads will give you a great overview. Had I had a better knowledge of these issues I'm not sure we would have bought the Sport. What I find surprising is not so much that early Gen 5 vehicles had issues but the the same issues seem to continue to come up in later model years. I fully expect one day to read, "Hey, my 2016 Explorer does...." and have it be one of the known issues.

Now having said that, after three months and 2,200 miles (I know, way too soon) we have not had any of the issues outlined in these threads.

I would also check to see if the CPO inspections were actually done and any issues were corrected. There is a thread here somewhere where that wasn't the case and, if memory serves me, the OP stated the dealer ended up taking the vehicle back.

While I doubt we'll keep the Sport after the bumper to bumper warranty expires, I will tell you
my wife loves the vehicle and it is great fun to drive.

Back