Potential 2014 Explorer Limited Purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Potential 2014 Explorer Limited Purchase

Gortty_Pilot

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Edge
Could a Limited Explorer in 2014 have the 3.5 Ecoboost engine or was that specific engine limited to only the Sport model?

I’m currently looking at getting a used Explorer from a dealer in the KC metro. It’s a Limited trim with AWD, a towing package and an Ecoboost engine. The dealer’s website indicates it has a “V6” and the trim pieces indicate it’s an ecoboost. I really want this Explorer but need to make sure the engine is not the 4 cylinder ecoboost.

Yes I called the dealer (they’re about 30 minutes away so I can’t go until Saturday to confirm) and the computer says it’s a V6 too. I’m just want to make sure it’s not a wrong computer entry before getting too deep.

Is it possible to have the power of the Sport in the refinement of the Limited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could a Limited Explorer in 2014 have the 3.5 Ecoboost engine or was that specific engine limited to only the Sport model?

I’m currently looking at getting a used Explorer from a dealer in the KC metro. It’s a Limited trim with AWD, a towing package and an Ecoboost engine. The dealer’s website indicates it has a “V6” and the trim pieces indicate it’s an ecoboost. I really want this Explorer but need to make sure the engine is not the 4 cylinder ecoboost.

Yes I called the dealer (they’re about 30 minutes away so I can’t go until Saturday to confirm) and the computer says it’s a V6 too. I’m just want to make sure it’s not a wrong computer entry before getting too deep.

Is it possible to have the power of the Sport in the refinement of the Limited?

The 2014 Limited has the 3.5NA or the 2.0 ecoboost (complete dog). Only the Sport had the 3.5 ecoboost. I would pass on that one.

Also to add, pre-2016 4 cyl Explorers were only available as FWD.

428233B1-CCCE-48D4-B187-01C39AAA5A6A.jpeg
Thank you both, but now I’m really confused. The Ford Etis website shows the VIN as being a “3.5L Cyclone V6 Petrol”.

The dealer pictures have a badge indicating it’s a “4WD ECOBOOST” and it also shows the knob to select the AWD status.

I always thought the "power of the Sport in the refinement of the Limited" crowd was why they created the Platinum trim version. If I were to buy this I'd want to know I actually had a TTV6, and that the AWD was functional... even then this is really weird and I'd probably stay away. Very easy to throw that badge on there, not sure how easy to add a phantom AWD selector.

Did you ask the dealer to send you a .pdf or pic of the window sticker?

If it is vin 1FM5K8F81EGA59340 from zeck, it is more than likely what etis says it is - a V6, non turbo, awd. Carfax shows damage on 6/18 and again 12/19 (front end damage). Personally, I'd pass, but that's just me.

As far as the badging, it could be any number of things:
1. prior owner added the badge to fool people
2. wrong badge was installed at the factory and no one noticed or cared
3. dealer added incorrect picture to vehicle listing in error
4. dealer added incorrect picture to vehicle listing on purpose to mislead
5. ????

View attachment 178937 Thank you both, but now I’m really confused. The Ford Etis website shows the VIN as being a “3.5L Cyclone V6 Petrol”.

The dealer pictures have a badge indicating it’s a “4WD ECOBOOST” and it also shows the knob to select the AWD status.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I tend to believe ETIS and what KayGee found out about that VIN if that is correct. In 2014 only the Sport had the 3.5L Ecoboost. In 2016 it was also put in the new Platinum trim. The knob referred to I'm guessing is the Terrain Management System dial. It is not really a true AWD selector.

Peter

Thanks everyone. It is the Explorer at Zeck. I have asked for the VIN sticker and it’s supposed to be emailed to me. It’s taken a while so I think the dealership is just now figuring out that this not the ecoboost engine and are waiting to understand everything before contacting me via email.

I wanted to make a holding deposit but given the VIN history and the wrong badge-I’m going to wait until I know much more.

I went ahead and skipped the Zeck Explorer.

I found a 2014 Sport with 100k miles in great shape. I’ve changed all of the fluids but need to figure outhow to exchange the PTU fluid.

I found a 2014 Sport with 100k miles in great shape. I’ve changed all of the fluids but need to figure outhow to exchange the PTU fluid.
I don't know if this thread will be of anyhelp; How to: - PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport
If you use the 'Search' feature, you will find several threads discussing it.
Here is another item you should be aware of and be on the lookout for; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Good choice.
Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what you paid?

Oh and I agree with Peter's link. I used that when I changed my PTU fluid around 60k miles. Mine was in good condition.

The PTU thread seems like it was made for me😁. Thanks peterk9! Out of curiosity, do you know if the Sports had both a fill and drain hole or only one hole for both? I’m not horribly woman out the water pump as I have a 2011 Edge with 200k miles too. I think maintenance is really important(and some luck) in determining duration.

I paid $18k for it. We were specifically looking for 2nd row bucket seats and the towing package - everything else was optional. We found ours with the BAMR, Adaptive Cruise/Coliision package and the 401A group package. There were a lot of safety features that I wasn’t looking for but were really nice to have once I found this Sport. Not to mention the used car dealer let us drive it from Oklahoma to KC to test drive overnight - they were as a group a real relaxed set of people in contrast to another dealer that had been helping us.

The PTU thread seems like it was made for me😁. Thanks peterk9! Out of curiosity, do you know if the Sports had both a fill and drain hole or only one hole for both?....................................
I'm not sure. There have been so many discussions on that topic that I've lost track. Perhaps a member with a 2014 Sport can answer that.

Peter

The PTU thread seems like it was made for me😁. Thanks peterk9! Out of curiosity, do you know if the Sports had both a fill and drain hole or only one hole for both? I’m not horribly woman out the water pump as I have a 2011 Edge with 200k miles too. I think maintenance is really important(and some luck) in determining duration.

I paid $18k for it. We were specifically looking for 2nd row bucket seats and the towing package - everything else was optional. We found ours with the BAMR, Adaptive Cruise/Coliision package and the 401A group package. There were a lot of safety features that I wasn’t looking for but were really nice to have once I found this Sport. Not to mention the used car dealer let us drive it from Oklahoma to KC to test drive overnight - they were as a group a real relaxed set of people in contrast to another dealer that had been helping us.

Thanks for the input on the price.

I believe the Sport PTU has a fill hole, but I understand that the catalytic converter has to be removed. When I did mine, I just went through the vent port with a section of hose. The concern is not getting the right fill, but I just filled it with about the recommended fill volume, which I think is about 18oz.

Back