Potential Explorer owner.

greydawg

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hello,

I am a newbie to both this forum and Explorers. Actually, I don't own an Explorer yet, but am looking hard at one to buy. It is a 94 XLT 4 door 4x4 with little body rust but some under body.

It has 134,x.. miles and one ouch on the passenger side between the front door and front wheel.

Question is this. What is the mileage expectancy of a well maintained 4.0 L with auto? How about the rest of the drive train?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Asking price is $4,000. Negotiations ongoing.

$4 grand for a 94 with 133k is basically highway robbery... on the part of the dealer/seller.

I'm not sure about the market in your area, but I just looked on Craigslist/Autotrader/Ebay in MA, and the most expensive 94' I could find was $2100 (with 133k)

I've found other 94's ranging from $200 with 190k to $1800 with 90k.

94 is stone stock. Dealer is charging near the market in this area. I have looked at one private party 92 with 3250 asking that was total crap.

I would pay 4000 based on what I have seen in this area, as it is relatively rust-free and interior is clean with no rips/tears or excess wear on leather or carpets. Dealer is giving 90 days/3,000 warranty on drive train.

I am going to have a mechanic look it over before I buy, however.

Honestly, I have looked at only a few due to indecision on what to get. Limited funds so want to get the best vehicle I can for my money. Have always wanted Explorer though.

One more question. I noticed that the 94 I am looking at has only a 5 digit odometer that reads 34xxx. Dealer is saying 134,x...

Pictures I see on Autotrader of 94 Explorers show 6 digit odometers.

Any thoughts?

One more question. I noticed that the 94 I am looking at has only a 5 digit odometer that reads 34xxx. Dealer is saying 134,x...

Any thoughts?

Mine has a 5 digit odometer. IMHO, 4K is a little high if it's got dings and rust. I paid $2k for my '94 (when it was stock) with about 112k on the clock, and it has some rust and a couple of small dings.

Any thoughts?

From what I under stand from other posts in the forum is that Explorers sold in the state of Newyork had to have a 6 digit odometer. All others had the 5 digit. If you do get the Explorer and you want a 6 digit and are willing to look through the salvage yards in your area you may be able to find one with very close milage. If you are wondering about dependibility I have 297,382 miles on mine. The only major repair that I have had to do is the tranny. One thing I would check into is if the tranny has been replaced or rebuilt at any time in the last year. That seems to be the weekest point in the explorer. If it has been done see if it has a warranty on it and if is transferable.
Best of luck.
Adam

I have purchased a 94 for 2800. and everyone says that is too much also.. being a Florida X with 2 Owners and only 116000 miles yes it is the 6 digit odometer.. it also is the Sport and a 5 spd manual .. Love it.. You buy what you like I will find one cheaper within the next month.. but that is the way my luck runs. Good luck and If you buy it we will welcome you to the Club...

Moving to stock '91-94 discussion...

I paid $8k for my '99 w/ 60k miles- and that was three years ago. Now, with 103k miles on it, it's worth between four and six thousand dollars. You could probably take the difference in price between what your dealer is getting, and what a dealer in another state is asking, and justify a short vacation to pick up the truck!!
Food for thought.
~Ken

$4 grand for a 94 with 133k is basically highway robbery... on the part of the dealer/seller.

I'm not sure about the market in your area, but I just looked on Craigslist/Autotrader/Ebay in MA, and the most expensive 94' I could find was $2100 (with 133k)

I've found other 94's ranging from $200 with 190k to $1800 with 90k.
I just sold my 93 with 124,000 miles for $2200. I was asking $2500. The kbb was right around $3000 for private party sale in my area. Just wanted to show a comparison.

way too much... i paid 400 bucks for my first explorer and it was a 91 in decent shape lil rust and about a 175k... i got over a year outta her when i parked it she had over 250k and just overheated a lil due to a head problem i made while 4x4... i just now bought another explorer its a 92 xlt got it for trade... i worked on a few things for a friend and he gave me it cause it needs a tranny... forward gears are outta the tranny thats in it and i have a good tranny to swap but explorer is a good way to go just dont let someone take you like that

2 days ago i bought a 93 Explorer that is very clean, has tons of brand new parts w/ reciepts, and has around 130k miles on it. I got it for $1400 cash, i think you are getting ripped off.

I bought my 93 eddie bauer with 184,000 on the clock for $900.00 and it had new brakes and 4 brand new goodyear wranglers all the way around and no rust. Power everything and even the a/c works. I have done some work on it. Also bought a running 91 for $300.00 just for parts. It has a rod knock i think. But it had a new radiator, fan clutch etc... $4000 is way to much.

i bought my 94 ford explorer limited with 134k for 3500, but it was in mint condition inside and out. i know have 156k and it still runs like new. but 4000 with all them defects is way to much, you can find you a nice 2nd generation explorer for that price. ( i probly could have also lol.) I have unlimited cafaxes so if you want i can run a carfax report on it for you.

3100-4000 is the blue book on the first gens...i have a 94 xlt, 4x4, auto and the odometer reads...367,145.4 miles... 3rd tranny original every thing els...no smoke or knocking from the ol 4.0....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow! 367k on the same motor, thats awsome. makes me feel better about mine.lol

Back