Potential ST owner | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Potential ST owner

yeah, I just came back from a 240 mile trip. ST smelled like rubber. I don't know which fuel dealer filled it up with but when it was almost empty I got a 93 Octane gas and damn, It seems smoother. Maybe it is just me getting to know the transmission.
You may be feeling the benefits of less timing being pulled (smoother). On some of my prior cars I had computers (Motec/piggybacks) that could log the timing trims and knock events. The cheap gas, likely what dealers use, almost always had terrible knock and timing trims (lowering timing on a 3D map with RPM and boost as the base). After a while I had pretty good data on all of the area gas stations -- remarkably the best gas was a no-name gas station that got 100% gas (no enthanol) out of Pad 1B in NJ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, I just came back from a 240 mile trip. ST smelled like rubber. I don't know which fuel dealer filled it up with but when it was almost empty I got a 93 Octane gas and damn, It seems smoother. Maybe it is just me getting to know the transmission.

I didn't think 93 Octane was necessary in the vehicle.

I am in the process of selecting a dealer to order a 2020 ST. Any insight as what to ask for etc... one question, what is the X-Plan that Ford offers ?

A little over a month ago I started my research on a Explorer ST. I looked at a Platinum version , then a Lincoln Aviator which I was almost sold on. BUT, back to the Explorer ST. Pulled the trigger today and bought a in stock Rapid Red, tech package, sun roof, & the 20'' wheels. Pick it up on Wednesday.

Excellent @Bill Holt, congrats. This thread you started was very helpful in my research and purchase.

Back