• Register Today It's free!

Power Antenna removal??

96_explorer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TeXaS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Got a 96 EB Explorer and I was wondering how hard is it to remove the power antenna motor??

Mine does not work. The antenna will not go down. Can anyone link to me or let me know how to remove it?? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motors are usually quite reliable. Did the ant. mast cable break? To access the motor just remove the plastic cover inside the fender area. Takes about 1.5 hours to remove and replace the motor.

Yea I can hear the motor turn or make noise,, but the antenna is not going down. Now would I still have to replace the motor due to this symptoms??

Thanks

I have found that you have to get the motor out and remove ALL of the broken ant. mast from the motor housing or the new ant. won't go down all the way.

The mast is cheap compared to the motor. Sounds like all you need is a mast.

After you get the new mast try taking the old mast out. That can be removed by turning the retainer at the top of the power ant (top of fender)

Once the old mast is out look to see if all of it came out. If it did then you could just put the new mast in.

This is from the repair CD:

Automatic Electric Antenna

Removal

1. Using an appropriate tool, unsnap the cap from the antenna base and remove the radio antenna base cap (18A927).

2. Remove radio antenna nut (18865).

3. Turn the ignition switch (11572) to the ACC position and turn the radio chassis (18806) on to extend the electric antenna.

4. Firmly pull the electric antenna out of the electric antenna motor.

Installation

1. Check the plastic cable end for a slight taper. If the cable appears to be broken, a section of the plastic cable could be inside the electric antenna motor. To remove the cable, proceed to Removal and Installation, Antenna Motor, Electric. If the cable is not broken, continue with Step 2.

2. Obtain a new electric antenna. Position the plastic cable so the teeth are facing the front of the vehicle.

3. Manually extend the electric antenna, then insert the cable into the electric antenna motor until resistance is felt. Turn the cable slightly left and right to fully engage the cable into the motor gear.

4. Have an assistant turn the ignition switch to the ON position, then turn the radio chassis ON and OFF. Apply light downward pressure to the electric antenna as the electric antenna motor starts retracting. The electric antenna motor will wind the cable into the electric antenna motor drive unit and retract the electric antenna sections.

5. Install radio antenna nut. Tighten to 9.5-10.5 N-m (84-93 lb-in).

6. Install the radio antenna base cap.

7. Cycle the electric antenna motor several times to ensure the electric antenna is extending and retracting properly.

I'm including this from the CD incase you need to pull the whole antenna:

Antenna Motor, Electric

Removal

1. Lower electric antenna (18850).

2. Remove retaining screws of RH front wheel splash shield for access to antenna lower retaining screw.

3. Remove lower retaining screw.

4. Using appropriate fender protection, unsnap radio antenna base cap (18A927) from antenna base and remove.

5. Remove radio antenna nut (18865) from top of motor tube and remove electric antenna through fender/splash shield access.

6. Disconnect radio antenna lead in cable (18812) from electric antenna.

7. Disconnect motor wire connector from electric antenna.

8. If a section of plastic antenna cable is to be removed from antenna motor:

l Remove the four attaching screws, drive mechanism cover and drive mechanism.

l Locate and remove the broken piece of cable.

l Install the drive mechanism, drive mechanism cover, and attaching screws.

Installation

1. To install, reverse removal procedure.

2. Tighten top radio antenna nut 9.5-10.5 N-m (84-93 lb-in).

3. Tighten lower electric antenna retaining screw to 5-6 N-m (44-53 lb-in).

wOw!! Thanks for everything!! You guys are a great help. :)

I'll check it out :D

Dang, this forum is helpful. Another issue covered. Mine does the same thing. It just stays up and I hear the motor humming every time I turn the car off. I'll have to check this out. :D :cool:

I hope someone sees this---I just got the new mast for my power antenna today---I know what I have to do to install it, but how do you get the dang mast nut off of the broken mast? It seems stuck on there. Do you really have to rip it off...buy the looks of the rubber grommet that's on the new mast, it seems as though it must be a pretty tight fit..........please help!

~BH

Thanks for the help on this guys :) My '95 EB's antenna just broke too, and I was wondering how to gain access to check for any plastic in the motor housing. Must be that time of the year. :rolleyes: I'll be picking up my new mast at the dealer this afternoon, so any additional tips would be appreciated.

power antenna mast

just in case someone needs a new ford power antenna mast. .I have one that I purchased new from ford and tore the bag open and then i realized that the antenna that I was replacing for my parents explorer was a permenant antenna not a power antenna. . I will make someone a great deal on this antenna mast. . .its brand new. . just had the bag tore open. let me know if anyone is interested it the mast

My antenna works, but since I changed my head unit, it never gets a signal to go up or down. Does anyone know where the wires are which trigger it to move? I would like to tap into them and control the antenna myself.

What radio (ford) system do you have? On the 97 EVTM it shows a power ant module next to the sub/amp assy on the LUX/JBL system.

Circut 747, Orange/light blue from the Remote chassis unit to the power ant module. Not sure what kind of signal it sends to the power ant module.

What makes the motor stop when it reaches it's limit?

Mine lowers fine. It raises fine, but when it reaches the top of it's travel, the motor continues to grind at it for 20 or 30 seconds.

I removed the mast and the plastic cable appears to be correct and in good shape.

TIA,
Scott

IIRC, the motor is controlled by a timer. It runs for a preset amount of time.

Back