Power Antenna Supply problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Antenna Supply problem

carlosto93

Reaction score
City, State
Bogota
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello, I'm Carlos Torres from Colombia and I have a Ford Explorer 1995 Eddie Bauer.

I have a question about the Power antenna supply, because i saw in some forums that when the antenna fails the problem is the mast or the antenna motor. but i revised the mast and the motor, and are OK.

The last weekend I was reviewing this and I found a cable pair (one Red and another Dark Green/Yellow), these cables are motor supply but the voltage between the cables is less than 1v. I think the voltage must be 12v.

Another thing that i saw, is the antenna-motor cables had been cut by the previous owner.

Which could be the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread to the Stock 2nd Gen Sub Forum for better exposure.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

According to the wiring diagram, you have a "power antenna module" between the radio and the antenna. No indication of where it is; it has wires that connect it to the radio, battery, ground, ignition (2) and the motor (2). The wires to the motor (red/pink and dark green/yellow) will only have 12V on them for a few seconds when the radio is turned on or off, since the motor only gets power when the antenna is moved. Good luck.

According to the wiring diagram, you have a "power antenna module" between the radio and the antenna. No indication of where it is; it has wires that connect it to the radio, battery, ground, ignition (2) and the motor (2). The wires to the motor (red/pink and dark green/yellow) will only have 12V on them for a few seconds when the radio is turned on or off, since the motor only gets power when the antenna is moved. Good luck.

thanks bobflood, I'm going to review that...

but how can I identify the Power Antenna Module???
or
where is that module??

thanks.

thanks bobflood, I'm going to review that...

but how can I identify the Power Antenna Module???
or
where is that module??

thanks.

Unfortunately, the diagrams don't tell you anything about where stuff is! If I have time, I'll look at the shop manual for my '97 and see what it tells me, then post up anything I find tomorrow. Good luck.

I'm back

Hi bobflood, the module is in the right rear side, behind the JBL audio system.

I found it!!,, thanks for your help, but I revised the module in saturday and the module is fine.

I found something strange in the module supply.

I found the wiring diagram of the module in google (http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/FordExplorerPowerAntennaCircuit_thumb.jpg), and started to review the Supply of the Module.

PIN 2 -> Always 12v - OK
PIN 3 -> ACC/Run 12v - OK
PIN 4 -> Start 12v - NO OK
PIN 8 -> RADIO Start 12v - NO OK

In the wiring diagram I view that the PIN 8 is using the supply from PIN 4 in the Remote Chasis Unit. So my conclusion is, the problem is a sorthed in the PIN 4 Supply (Red/Blue), in the fuse panel is connection direct to the FUSE 34 10Amp.

I revised continuity between the FUSE and GND, and there's continuity, i think that confirms my idea of the shorted... But I don't know what can I do now?, any suggestions to find the shorted?

Thanks for your help.

PD: I'm going to upload Photos of the Module and Module Location in saturday

Back