Power folding side mirror not stopping at normal position | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power folding side mirror not stopping at normal position

Blinkooo

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Explorer Limited
Had the car for 2 days and when I left work it looked like someone folded both my side mirrors in. When I hit the button the drive side folded back to normal position, but the passenger side goes from closed to completely outward. It does not stop at the normal position.
Is something broken that’s not allowing it to stop at normal position and are they suppose to fold completely outward where the mirror is facing away from the car?

I tried syncing but had no luck. I just have to manual move the mirror into normal position but it feels like it’s not locked in.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried pushing it manually to the right position? The car maybe just didn't realize it was moved?

Have you tried pushing it manually to the right position? The car maybe just didn't realize it was moved?

I have but once I got the button it just goes back to fully open or full closed. Won’t stop in the correct position.

Sounds like maybe the motor is programmed to just stop when it hits resistance, and someone broke the piece to stop it so it just keeps going.

I had this happen once in the cold--the stop position appears to be learned and can be "missed" under certain circumstances.

For me it resolved itself--so no helpful advice from me unfortunately--but confirming that I have seen it.

I had this happen once in the cold--the stop position appears to be learned and can be "missed" under certain circumstances.

For me it resolved itself--so no helpful advice from me unfortunately--but confirming that I have seen it.
Ok thank you! I’ll keep messing with it hoping for the best otherwise I’ll just have to do the barbaric things and manually move that mirror for the time being.

I pulled the service manual--here's the relearn procedure:

1.) Fold both mirrors against the body of the car by hand (folded position). This may require a bit of disconcerting pressure as the mirrors are designed to hold fixed even in a strong wind.
2.) Activate the powerfold mirrors. You will here a pop/click/snap and see a jump to show the gears engaging. This is normal.
3.) Repeat step two at least three-four times to synchronize the mirrors.
4.) If that doesn't work, I got nothing, sorry bud, at least the advice was free.

I pulled the service manual--here's the relearn procedure:

1.) Fold both mirrors against the body of the car by hand (folded position). This may require a bit of disconcerting pressure as the mirrors are designed to hold fixed even in a strong wind.
2.) Activate the powerfold mirrors. You will here a pop/click/snap and see a jump to show the gears engaging. This is normal.
3.) Repeat step two at least three-four times to synchronize the mirrors.
4.) If that doesn't work, I got nothing, sorry bud, at least the advice was free.

I did try that but I will continue today hoping something will change. It does make the pop click noise when it’s full closed sometimes or when it folds all the way to the front of the car.
Thank you and I do appreciate the help

And to double check -- BOTH mirrors were folded in manually, correct, even the working one?

Back