Power Inverter installation quesiton | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Inverter installation quesiton

jdgabbard

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Ok, so I'm getting ready to install a power inverter in my 94 Sport. And I'm looking at installing either under the passenger seat, or in the floorboard between the front seats on the "hump." But I have some questions on mounting the unit.

First, what should I use to mount it to the floor board, self tapping screws??? If so anyone got an idea on length to get through the carpet and what not?

Second, if using self-tapping are there any concerns with water leakage? Since this unit will be generating 110v...

I drive a big rig and run a 1500w inverter and have for almost 3 years,it must be kept dry and dirt will also be a problem so the floorboard would be my last choice.We buy good jumper cables and cut the ends off,then use about 7 feet of them to hook things up.

You can not try to use it without the truck running and a big battery if you are trying to run anything large,say a coffee maker or small microwave.It won't put out enough power to run them well.

I have a 1000w to hook up in my 94 and the water/dirt issue leads me to think I will have it in a Tupperware box that I will open the lid on when I run it,it has fans and needs ventilation or it will burn up.

I might mount it in the box on the flat where the airbox used to be,that way my cables will be short and a 12/14 gauge 6 foot extension cord like the one I have in the truck will let me run whatever,voltage drop is a consideration also.:D

1 inch self tappers would be fine. Not likely to cause any leakage as long as the screws are in the holes.

If you only want to run it when the engine is on I would suggest using a continuous duty solenoid which is controled by a 12 volt supply that is only active when the ignition is on. This would be somewhere along the heavy guage 12 volt (+) wire that is connecting to the inverter. (if the engine isn't running the inverter won't work).
If that doesn't sound good because you want to run some small things like a laptop or dvd player while the engine is off, you should really have dual batteries setup so that you can isolate them and only drain power from one of them.

1 inch self tappers would be fine. Not likely to cause any leakage as long as the screws are in the holes.

If you only want to run it when the engine is on I would suggest using a continuous duty solenoid which is controled by a 12 volt supply that is only active when the ignition is on. This would be somewhere along the heavy guage 12 volt (+) wire that is connecting to the inverter. (if the engine isn't running the inverter won't work).
If that doesn't sound good because you want to run some small things like a laptop or dvd player while the engine is off, you should really have dual batteries setup so that you can isolate them and only drain power from one of them.
The dual battery and isolator setup would be ideal,use a deep cycle battery for the primary inverter battery as it will last much longer being discharged a lot.:D

Back