Power Issues When Reversing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Issues When Reversing

smashclash

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Sometimes when I go to reverse my 2014 XLT the car starts bucking and fighting in reverse. I think the reverse sensors are sensing an object that doesn't exist and pulsing the brakes. It feels jerky and like the car is going to stall almost.

Perhaps it's a bad sensor or sensors? How should I evaluate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reverse sensors only sound a warning. They have nothing to do with braking or engine performance. You have another issue. Transmission perhaps?:dunno:

Peter

Ughhh. Transmission?

So I just tried it again. It seemed to kick while I was turning in reverse. It felt like it was slipping. I'd rev the engine and nothing would really happen. Then it would engage and jerk. But it also falsely sent out a car/object coming from teh right and sounded the warning noise.

So there's no reverse brake assist on these? Man, I was really hoping it was just some kind of false sensor reading that was engaging the brakes.

Beginning to look more and more like a transmission issue from what you described. Perhaps another member may have another, less costly, idea as to what it might be.

Peter

We brought the car in Wednesday. Ford had to take apart the transmission. They determined it was the Power take off unit that was bad. They ordered the part and will put it back together tomorrow. Fortunately it was covered under warranty so it's only costing me $100.

Thanks for the update.

Peter

I'll report back again with more details when we get the car back and I can discuss more details with the tech. Perhaps it'll make sense to change the thread title at that point in case someone ever finds this thread in a search in the future.

OK got the car back. They replaced the Power Take Off Unit. They removed the old one and opened the casing to determine it was bad. Found bearing and gear failure.

I´m experiencing something similar, low power when in reverse. If it´s flat, no problem at all, if there´s a ramp or something that requires a bit of power I have to accelerate to barely make it. I assume they had to take out the transmission to change those parts, correct?

If it is the PTU it's only the PTU that is taken out. PTU is the "transfer case" that's attached to transmission.

Back