Power Lift Gate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Lift Gate

JIL531

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Limite
I'm not sure which options package my Explorer has, I'm assuming just the Limited "Basic". Do all '16 Limited models have the hands free power lift gate? I can't seem to tell if mine does, can you tell me where to look to see if I have this option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look on the panel just above the headlamp switch - the button to the far left should be the pwr liftgate button. Also you can feel in the liftgate handle and push the button it ll beep and open if you have it.

I talking about the option where you kick your foot underneath the back of the vehicle, and the door comes up.
I may not have explained that properly (nor do I know the exact name of this feature). :)

Thanks!

Go to this site and enter your VIN. It will show you everything that is on your vehicle.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRe...id=B50090E6D3812F140C0DCA78955206C4.eccvas508
If you have your Window Sticker, it should show what option package you have.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I tried that site earlier, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I'll try after a bit. I thought maybe there would be something I could visually see underneath that would tell me. I have also tried to locate a window sticker with my VIN, but nothing will pull that up either. I'll have to ask my dealer. Appreciate the response.

Ok. If it is the foot activation I have a Platinum and can't get it to work. It's hit or miss with me. You have to hit the plastic pretty hard. Check YouTube for instructions.

Ok. If it is the foot activation I have a Platinum and can't get it to work. It's hit or miss with me. You have to hit the plastic pretty hard. Check YouTube for instructions.
You shouldn't have to hit the plastic at all. The sensor is underneath. I just picked up mine today and on the first attempt nothing happened. I then tried again and took a step back and it opened. Did it again by swiping my foot under the bumper, took a step back and it worked again.

Peter

I find it works best if you swing your foot in a side swipe kind of way instead of kicking straight ahead under the bumper. There are 2 sensors, one on either side of the trailer hitch (or the place where a hitch would go).

My XLT has this and it goes off walking buy to close sometimes. It's a awesome feature when you need it though.

The only time that mine would work consistently was when I was installing my trailer hitch. Other than that it is a hit and miss on weather it will work or not.

Back