• Register Today It's free!

Power locks, dome light

ldhost1

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Does anybody else have a problem with the drivers side door locks and dome light? There must be a short in the wires that run through the door because sometimes it work and sometimes it doesnt. And the dome light will say on when the key is out of the ignition so i have to keep the dome light turned off. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have similar issues. The fix is to check the wiring that goes through the rubber boot in the front of the door. This boot goes from the door to the body. Many are reporting that they find broken wires. When these wires are repaired by splicing a length of wire between the break the issues are resolved. I am going to investigate this on my 02 XLT tomorrow. I will post my findings and hopefully report that the problem is fixed.

i have broken wires. i can wiggle the boot and watch my door locks lighted switch go on and off. i will be fixing soon.

mine was the infamous broken ground wire inside the boot, i fixed the broken wire and all is well

Which wire was it? What color is the ground?

in my 2002 explorer XLS it has 2 ground wires inside the loom between the a-pilar and door. one is a 12 gauge wire and one is either 16 or 14 guage. my problem ground wire was the smaller of the two. you will notice the difference in size. both are "black in color"

Just purchased wire and butt splices. Will be making the search and fix mission this weekend. Wish me luck!!!

Got it fixed! It was the smaller of the 2 black ground wires. Good to have things back to normal. Thanks for all the great info.

Back