• Register Today It's free!

Power locks stopped working

MC84

Reaction score
City, State
ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 1991
Hi, I have a 1991 Ford Explorer. A few days ago I noticed my power locks did not work anymore, on both my driver side and passenger side. There is no noise or movement, it seems as if the power is completely cut off. In addition, side mirror adjuster buttons located above the power locks have also stopped working. Power windows continue to function as normal. I checked my fuses and they all looked fine. The only thing that I have done recently that may have contributed to this problem is that I replaced my battery with a new one. Any ideas?

I would check for wiring damage in your door or corrosion on connectors. Sometimes the wires that go through the body to the door fatigue and break or rub on metal and wear through.

Another possibility. Has your truck ever had an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry system installed? I had a '94 act just like yours, one day the locks wouldn't work at all. I found an old aftermarket alarm/keyless module under the dash and traced the wiring to the doors, where the factory relays had been bypassed. The alarm module had small relays inside it that took over the job, and they had burned out. I removed the module and all the wiring, and reconnected the factory wiring for the locks, and it worked great.

Back