Power Loss with 32s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Loss with 32s

I am soon going to put on a 2" skyjacker lift and a 2" body lift on my 93 sport(to save money). With this, I plan to add some 32s.

My question is if I put on these 32s, will I lose a lot of power. Does anyone have experience with 32s and not gearing it down? I am wanting 32s, but if there will be any rubbing on the fenders or a need to gear it down, I will go with 31s. Please help me out and tell me what tires I should go with(I want some mudders).

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rubbing shouldnt be an issue. Do you know your stock gear ratio? If not look at the sticker on the drivers door and see what the code is under axle. That will determine the axle ratio and how much of a problem 32's will be.

If you have 4.10's you should be ok, but 4.56 would be better

Hope these codes help, should be listed on your door sticker

Code Capacity Ratio
43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73 >>

I had 33s with 3.27 gears before. They were more like 34s though. The power loss was tolerable. Iff you have 3.55 or 3.73 You'll be fine.

Naga Sadow said:
I had 33s with 3.27 gears before. They were more like 34s though. The power loss was tolerable. Iff you have 3.55 or 3.73 You'll be fine.

I have 4.10's with 32's... only on long uphill grades can i maybe tell a difference.. it'll just stay in a lower gear a little longer than before... I have absolutely no problems around town or climbing hills or passing or anything like that

Hey, thanks a lot. I just looked and I found out my gears are 3.27s. Knowing this and that my explorer has a manual transmission, what do you guys think about 32s. Does anyone have a manual with some 32s? Please help!!

Thanks

whats the diff between the L73 and the D4 and which is better?

jared, i never knew what the difference was.. they are both 3.73 with lsd

as for 32 with 3.27s... you should be ok... if you notice a major lag and cant tolerate it, then swap out your gears.....

i just put 31s on my toyota, stickshift.... well it had 25" tires stock... i notice the lag... but it still moves and oi can still spin the tires from a standstill on dry pavement have no clue what my gear ratio is...

Back