• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc.

Explorinum

Reaction score
City, State
Catskills
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
I had used jrgoffin's [Thank you!] instructions up above mounting my R7 up on the driver's side.

He had said 15 minutes and it took me more time playing with the different suction cups and angle of mount than the hookup to the ports.

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mjk1217

Reaction score
City, State
Estero, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I had used jrgoffin's [Thank you!] instructions up above mounting my R7 up on the driver's side.

He had said 15 minutes and it took me more time playing with the different suction cups and angle of mount than the hookup to the ports.

Jay

How hard do I pull on the cover to remove it? I feel like I'm going to snap the clips/tabs. Thanks

Explorinum

Reaction score
City, State
Catskills
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Even before I got my mirror tap, I followed the instructions and had no problem at all. The 4 'plugs/receptacles' are in their respective places pretty tight and do not pop out.

Just had some minor issues aligning it back up but after 2-3 tries, it went in perfectly.

Side note: as the mirror tap wire is so skinny, I opted not to snake it out of the small hole but ran it across/over the inside. My wire only sticks out 1".

Jay

omar302

Reaction score
City, State
Doha
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Edge Sport
So what on earth is it for? I’ve never seen it on a windshield before. It clearly connects directly to the windshield. There are metal electrodes attached. Ford definitely didn’t put it there for their health. Not saying you’re wrong by any means, just want to know what it is for.

I know this is a late reply, but I only saw this now. On my 2016 Edge, those would be for a heating element that heats portion of the windshield directly in-front/around the camera used for the Lane Keeping System. From the Edge Service Manual:

IPMA Camera Heated Windshield Element
The IPMA camera heated windshield element keeps the windshield in front of the IPMA clear of condensation, frost and ice. The IPMA uses input from the IPMA camera and the ambient air temperature to turn the IPMA camera heated windshield element on and off. Voltage and ground is supplied to the heated windshield element by the IPMA. The IPMA camera heated windshield element may be commanded on if the ambient temperature is below 5°C (41°F).

Vash610

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Glad to hear this thread is still helping out!

I just ordered everything and will attempt this soon. Thanks for the pictures and walkthrough! I definitely would not have pull the trigger without your help!

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
This little project turned out to be a cinch - probably just 15 minutes from start to finish. The plug is easily accessed from the passenger side after removing the cover. Turning the mirror down also made it easier to pull the cover once I was able to get my fingertips behind its edges. Since the diagrams above show the wires IN to the connector, it's not a big deal to see which wires they mate to on the harness.

Here's the cover showing the tabs that latch in to the plate on the windshield:

Thanks so much for your info brother! The install was a breeze and took about 3 minutes thanks to the pics you provided!!

3A5430BA-B029-41B5-B3F8-FB7F516AA7C4.jpeg

Attachments

• B63BC70A-96AB-4F99-A2E5-54F58862F37E.jpeg
    B63BC70A-96AB-4F99-A2E5-54F58862F37E.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 10