How to: - Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

jrgoffin

Reaction score
City, State
The midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
'20 Explorer ST
Since I had removed my Radenso Pro-M radar detector from my '14 Sport along with the BlendMount bracket, it's in need of getting transferred over to my '20. Unfortunately, the power mirror does not have it's plug right in the back, instead it is behind the cover that clips in above and behind it. Since I hate cords, I also used a MirrorTap wire (also available from the BlendMount site) to keep it clean and factory looking. The cord transferred from my '14 is 10" long and hopefully will work here, but I'll find out momentarily.

In any case, for anyone interested in doing something similar, I had one of the tech's at my selling dealership print up the wiring diagrams (he was gracious enough to spare a few moments, which was much appreciated). There are two different circuits here, one if you have the Lane-Keep Assist, and the other without. Both harnesses do only have five wires, but one plug is a 16-pin. Fortunately, switched power is Pin #1 on both, which is the Blue/Brown wire (shown as BU/BN on each diagram). Ground is easy to find since it's the Black wire.

Without Lane-Keeping. Circuit diagram:

Power mirror1.jpeg

Connector for above (C9012). Switched power is Pin#1, Ground at Pin#4:

Power mirror2.jpeg

With Lane-Keeping:

Power mirror3.jpeg

Connector for above (C911). Switched power is Pin#1, Ground at Pin#3:

Power mirror4.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This little project turned out to be a cinch - probably just 15 minutes from start to finish. The plug is easily accessed from the passenger side after removing the cover. Turning the mirror down also made it easier to pull the cover once I was able to get my fingertips behind its edges. Since the diagrams above show the wires IN to the connector, it's not a big deal to see which wires they mate to on the harness.

Here's the cover showing the tabs that latch in to the plate on the windshield:

20200421_152415.jpg

A view of the rain sensing and lane keeping circuitry along with the mirror harness plug:

20200421_152301.jpg

Mirror harness plug, on the right side. Switched power is the white wire out (#1) and ground is black (#3) again:

20200421_152401.jpg

With the mirror tap plugged in and zip-tied to the harness (the 10" wire was more than enough):

20200421_153700.jpg

Cover back on with the BlendMount and radar detector slightly lined up before snugging the bolts down:

20200421_154804.jpg

View from the seat. One nice feature of this Radenso unit is the Voltage display on the right side. It didn't show up in the picture, but it's there in any case:

20200421_154822.jpg

Definitely a worthwhile and easy project if you want those cords out of the way.

So, does anyone know what these parts are? One looks like the camera for lane keeping. Another looks like I have a heated windshield (?) although I didn’t order the cold weather package. And the dot on the left pokes through the shield, but it isn’t the microphone, as that’s above my head on the headliner.

Trying to find a source of switched power for a radar detector. Found always on 12V on the map lights, but I’d prefer something switched.

Attachments

• 6026F8A8-D1D6-4449-9011-72DA954B57C7.jpeg
    6026F8A8-D1D6-4449-9011-72DA954B57C7.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 602

How did you remove that? Was poking at it the other day, as I want to remove to install a auto dim mirror......

Those are the lane keeping camera, rain sensor should be the circle one I think, the far left, not sure, and I would agree about the heated part.
If you go to the overhead console, you may find a 12v, but I haven't poked around with a dmm yet.

So, does anyone know what these parts are? One looks like the camera for lane keeping. Another looks like I have a heated windshield (?) although I didn’t order the cold weather package. And the dot on the left pokes through the shield, but it isn’t the microphone, as that’s above my head on the headliner.

Trying to find a source of switched power for a radar detector. Found always on 12V on the map lights, but I’d prefer something switched.

Your thread was merged with the current one on this topic using the search function. Everything should be answered here for you on how to do it.

Your thread was merged with the current one on this topic using the search function. Everything should be answered here for you on how to do it.

Well, I didn’t know the thread existed, so that’s a bonus.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t answer my question. I don’t have the power mirror, so the location he pulled power from doesn’t exist in my truck. Still looking for switched power up there.

So, does anyone know what these parts are? One looks like the camera for lane keeping. Another looks like I have a heated windshield (?) although I didn’t order the cold weather package......................................
The Explorer doesn't have a heated windshield. The Cold Weather Package consists of; First and Second row heated seats, Heated Steering Wheel and Windshield Wiper De-Icer.

Peter

The Explorer doesn't have a heated windshield. The Cold Weather Package consists of; First and Second row heated seats, Heated Steering Wheel and Windshield Wiper De-Icer.

Peter

What is the metallic printed black area around the entire perimeter with positive and negative leads going to it for?

Peter

I think there is a heater for the wipers and where the camera system is so ice doesn't build up in front of it for road/camera, etc.

I doubt that those leads are actually attached to the windshield. Those dots are called Frits and are baked into the windshield to help in adhesion of the layered surfaces of glass. If you look closely, you probably find that they run along the top of the windshield as well. At least they do on mine.

Peter

I think there is a heater for the wipers and where the camera system is so ice doesn't build up in front of it for road/camera, etc.
The heated wipers (de-icers) in the Explorer only come on with the rear defrost. The outside area behind the mirror mount is kept clean with use of the wipers.

Peter

I doubt that those leads are actually attached to the windshield. Those dots are called Frits and are baked into the windshield to help in adhesion of the layered surfaces of glass. If you look closely, you probably find that they run along the top of the windshield as well. At least they do on mine.

Peter

I'm not so sure. The leads are most definitely connected directly to that portion of the windshield. Check out my attachment. It appears to be the exact same type of material on the rear defrost. However, upon testing, it doesn't energize with the defrost circuit. I'm going to dig into Forscan and see if there is a feature bit to enable it. Sure would be pretty nice for all of us without the fancy trims to have the heated elements for the wipers if this is accurate.

Still trying to hunt down a switched power source up there. No luck so far, but I don't want to mess with the leads to the camera without a pinout or something given the nature of that system.

EDIT: I bounced a base XLT off of one with only the Comfort Package in addition to base features. The output is attached. I'm guessing it's one of the bits in the HVAC module.

Attachments

• IMG_9958.jpg
    IMG_9958.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 2.09.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 2.09.51 PM.png
    997.2 KB · Views: 441

I'm not so sure. The leads are most definitely connected directly to that portion of the windshield. Check out my attachment. It appears to be the exact same type of material on the rear defrost. However, upon testing, it doesn't energize with the defrost circuit. I'm going to dig into Forscan and see if there is a feature bit to enable it. Sure would be pretty nice for all of us without the fancy trims to have the heated elements for the wipers if this is accurate.......................................................
The rear window has fine elements/conductors running through the glass that heat up. The windshield doesn' have that. Glass itself is an insulator, not a conductor. That means those leads wouldn't do anything if connected directly to the glass as there is nothing to carry the current. The dots aren't connected to each other.

Peter

The rear window has fine elements/conductors running through the glass that heat up. The windshield doesn' have that. Glass itself is an insulator, not a conductor. That means those leads wouldn't do anything if connected directly to the glass as there is nothing to carry the current. The dots aren't connected to each other.

Peter

So what on earth is it for? I’ve never seen it on a windshield before. It clearly connects directly to the windshield. There are metal electrodes attached. Ford definitely didn’t put it there for their health. Not saying you’re wrong by any means, just want to know what it is for.

Glass itself is an insulator, not a conductor. That means those leads wouldn't do anything if connected directly to the glass as there is nothing to carry the current. The dots aren't connected to each other.

Peter

Look at his picture again. The leads aren't connected to glass nor the dots. I wonder what it does. we do not know what it connects to as it is masked off and we can't see what's in front of it. My guess is it is the windshield wiper de-icer. It probably has leads that snake down to the bottom where the windshield wipers rest. I would be surprised if around the camera is heated. I will say that this windshield will be a pain and an expense to replace! Glad I have full glass coverage on my auto insurance.

Look at his picture again. The leads aren't connected to glass nor the dots. I wonder what it does. we do not know what it connects to as it is masked off and we can't see what's in front of it. My guess is it is the windshield wiper de-icer. It probably has leads that snake down to the bottom where the windshield wipers rest. I would be surprised if around the camera is heated. I will say that this windshield will be a pain and an expense to replace! Glad I have full glass coverage on my auto insurance.
Not sure why you quoted my post as I agree that there is no connection to the glass. As for the windshield wiper de-icer, that likely is connected in with the rear defrost system since that is the only way in the Explorer that you can activate that feature.

Peter

I'm very confused, this is the second time I got a notification that there was a new post for this, this time from blwnsmoke, but nothing is here. Is there something funky going on with this thread because of it getting merged?

I'm very confused, this is the second time I got a notification that there was a new post for this, this time from blwnsmoke, but nothing is here. Is there something funky going on with this thread because of it getting merged?
He deleted his post. Only mods can see that.

Peter

Hello

First question here, thank you in advance.

I have a 2020 explorer ST, was hoping someone could help me out with installing a mirror tap? All of the videos I could find are for older vehicles. I am quite afraid of breaking any tabs or clips on the rear view mirror cover. If anyone could give me some pointers or pictures that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello

First question here, thank you in advance.

I have a 2020 explorer ST, was hoping someone could help me out with installing a mirror tap? All of the videos I could find are for older vehicles. I am quite afraid of breaking any tabs or clips on the rear view mirror cover. If anyone could give me some pointers or pictures that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of helpful info posted here throughout the threads. You had posted your question in the Order Status forum. I have merged it with the current thread on this exact topic in the Modified forum. The search function works very well and we do ask that prior to starting a new thread to attempt that first. One common mistake is not unchecking "all forums" at the top when choosing which forum to search.

All your answers should be here, Enjoy the forum!!

Back