How to: - Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I had used jrgoffin's [Thank you!] instructions up above mounting my R7 up on the driver's side.

He had said 15 minutes and it took me more time playing with the different suction cups and angle of mount than the hookup to the ports.

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had used jrgoffin's [Thank you!] instructions up above mounting my R7 up on the driver's side.

He had said 15 minutes and it took me more time playing with the different suction cups and angle of mount than the hookup to the ports.

Jay

How hard do I pull on the cover to remove it? I feel like I'm going to snap the clips/tabs. Thanks

Even before I got my mirror tap, I followed the instructions and had no problem at all. The 4 'plugs/receptacles' are in their respective places pretty tight and do not pop out.

Just had some minor issues aligning it back up but after 2-3 tries, it went in perfectly.

Side note: as the mirror tap wire is so skinny, I opted not to snake it out of the small hole but ran it across/over the inside. My wire only sticks out 1".

Jay

So what on earth is it for? I’ve never seen it on a windshield before. It clearly connects directly to the windshield. There are metal electrodes attached. Ford definitely didn’t put it there for their health. Not saying you’re wrong by any means, just want to know what it is for.

I know this is a late reply, but I only saw this now. On my 2016 Edge, those would be for a heating element that heats portion of the windshield directly in-front/around the camera used for the Lane Keeping System. From the Edge Service Manual:

IPMA Camera Heated Windshield Element
The IPMA camera heated windshield element keeps the windshield in front of the IPMA clear of condensation, frost and ice. The IPMA uses input from the IPMA camera and the ambient air temperature to turn the IPMA camera heated windshield element on and off. Voltage and ground is supplied to the heated windshield element by the IPMA. The IPMA camera heated windshield element may be commanded on if the ambient temperature is below 5°C (41°F).

Glad to hear this thread is still helping out!

I just ordered everything and will attempt this soon. Thanks for the pictures and walkthrough! I definitely would not have pull the trigger without your help!

This little project turned out to be a cinch - probably just 15 minutes from start to finish. The plug is easily accessed from the passenger side after removing the cover. Turning the mirror down also made it easier to pull the cover once I was able to get my fingertips behind its edges. Since the diagrams above show the wires IN to the connector, it's not a big deal to see which wires they mate to on the harness.

Here's the cover showing the tabs that latch in to the plate on the windshield:

Thanks so much for your info brother! The install was a breeze and took about 3 minutes thanks to the pics you provided!!

3A5430BA-B029-41B5-B3F8-FB7F516AA7C4.jpeg

Attachments

• B63BC70A-96AB-4F99-A2E5-54F58862F37E.jpeg
    B63BC70A-96AB-4F99-A2E5-54F58862F37E.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 146

Hey everyone! I’m new here. I have a question about handwriting my radar detector. Does anyone know how to remove the panel behind the rear view mirror? I would rather know where all clips are before I start trying to pry into it in order to find where I can hardware my radar. Thanks I’m advance for any help!

61488A17-E5E7-43C2-8116-DF8962C78DDE.jpeg

Thank you so much! Exactly what I needed!
Welcome to the Forum Ricky. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with the one identified above. The Forum has a 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be useful in finding exiting threads/posts. Good luck with the install.

Peter

This thread is awesome to help others that have the powered mirror. But for those of you that don't, that have a 2020 or 2021 Explorer XLT, here's the scoop on hardwiring a radar detector. First remove the black panel that covers up the lane sensor and cabin temp. sensor. Then remove your overhead map light console. Take your time, I use a plastic scrapper to help out removing these panels because you don't want to break them or ruin your fingers either. Next unplug the only connector to your overhead map light console. That connector, when you look at it has a black wire on the far left side that is ground. And the far right yellow wire is power. I tried to use the push pins on the radar connector wire but they were too big, I even filed them down and you can't get a gnat in that connector. So I used 2 red connectors, see the pics to wire it up. I'll attach pics and I hope they help. After several minutes of the vehicle being turned off, the detector will shut down. So no worries of it staying on all the time. As soon as you open the door it will come to life and stay that way as long as you are driving. I really hope this helps others. Edit here and more info that I hope helps. If you bought one of the radar connectors that has the blades to insert in the plug, it's too short. You will have to extend it at least 12 inches to give you enough to go from the map light connector to your radar detector. Super easy to do, just snip it in the middle, use inline wire connectors and tape it all up. Not a problem. If anyone has a question for me please ask, I will help out as much as I can. Oh and I'm getting ready to do this on our new Escape as well. Same procedure. Map light connector is where you need to hook everything up at.

20210710_201742.jpg

20210710_195742.jpg

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think your 2nd sentence needs a little rearranging. :D

Peter

I just ran a longer cord for my Valentine V2 down to the Savvy unit via the weather stripping. Ten minutes and done.

Would that be the yellow one with the green or blue stripe on the far right? It is hard to see in the picture and I did not notice the stripe in the picture.
This thread is awesome to help others that have the powered mirror. But for those of you that don't, that have a 2020 or 2021 Explorer XLT, here's the scoop on hardwiring a radar detector. First remove the black panel that covers up the lane sensor and cabin temp. sensor. Then remove your overhead map light console. Take your time, I use a plastic scrapper to help out removing these panels because you don't want to break them or ruin your fingers either. Next unplug the only connector to your overhead map light console. That connector, when you look at it has a black wire on the far left side that is ground. And the far right yellow wire is power. I tried to use the push pins on the radar connector wire but they were too big, I even filed them down and you can't get a gnat in that connector. So I used 2 red connectors, see the pics to wire it up. I'll attach pics and I hope they help. After several minutes of the vehicle being turned off, the detector will shut down. So no worries of it staying on all the time. As soon as you open the door it will come to life and stay that way as long as you are driving. I really hope this helps others. Edit here and more info that I hope helps. If you bought one of the radar connectors that has the blades to insert in the plug, it's too short. You will have to extend it at least 12 inches to give you enough to go from the map light connector to your radar detector. Super easy to do, just snip it in the middle, use inline wire connectors and tape it all up. Not a problem. If anyone has a question for me please ask, I will help out as much as I can. Oh and I'm getting ready to do this on our new Escape as well. Same procedure. Map light connector is where you need to hook everything up at.

View attachment 340370

View attachment 340371

Would that be the yellow one with the green or blue stripe on the far right? It is hard to see in the picture and I did not notice the stripe in the picture.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I don't remember seeing a stripe either. See if you can hold the connector and match it up to the picture I posted or better yet just get a cheap VOM meter to find out exactly.

tagging!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back