• Register Today It's free!

Power Mirror Failure

Niels

Reaction score
City, State
Benson, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT w/ 4.0 SOHC
Hi all. First off, I would like to thank all of you for the wealth of information that is available on this site. With it I have fixed a No-Start issue, Inertia switch wiring, and the rear wiper motor. Both would have been a real bugger without the information contained here. :chug:

My '99 Ex recently had the power mirrors quit completely, both left and right. I checked the fuse with a voltmeter and its good, both in continuity from one side of the fuse to the other and voltage output on both sides. So I went to the switch connector. Nothing. Checking for voltage at the red and black (which I assume would be power and ground, no schematics) there was no power. When ground was checked to the battery on the black wire there was continuity there.

So, that leads me to believe that there is a broken wire between the fuse and the switch connector. I did a search and found some info on the electrical canister in the driver's door. Apparently there are some other connectors in the driver's door itself which generally don't break.

My first question is if there are any schematics that someone has that shows this circuit. I don't have any manuals :rolleyes: but it doesn't appear that Haynes or Chilton manual show this circuit anyway.

Secondly, does the red wire power the mirror circuit or is it the two yellows that are tied together at the connector. Perhaps these are powers out to the left and right mirrors??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco

Click on Auto Repair, then follow the menus to your vehicle. There are excellent wiring diagrams here.

Holy Electricity, Batman!! Thanks for the reply. You are certainly correct, there are a ton of schematics there. :thumbsup: They are even in a format that I am used to :D. That site has earned a bookmark. Thanks for the information and the heads up about that site, bobflood.

The weather has finally warmed up enough to dig into this issue. When I split the canister between the door and cab there was no continuity between the fuse and the lower connector. I took the boot off the bottom and there it was, a broken wire right below the connector. I took a photo of the connector but I am unable to upload it.

There are two slots in the inner part of the connector with what look like lock tabs in them. I am thinking that this inner, red piece separates from the outer black piece. The outer piece drops down which would then allow removal of the pins, is that correct? Perhaps there is a special tool that allows the pins to be pulled from the connector out the back side of the connector. We use these where I work and this looks similar. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

my driver's side mirror doesn't works, how can i make it works again?

I took the boot off the bottom and there it was, a broken wire right below the connector. I took a photo of the connector but I am unable to upload it.

You can become an Elite Explorer by donating $20 to the site and upload directly on the forum. Or you can join a site like Flikr and upload through it.

my driver's side mirror doesn't works, how can i make it works again?

Post #20 of this thread will help you: Link.

Back