Power mirrors are giving me problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power mirrors are giving me problems.

heavymetal53

Reaction score
City, State
Beacon Falls, Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I have recently bought a used 02 explorer and the power mirrors wont work. I pulled the mirrors and checked for power at both mirror plugs. I have power for every axis of the switch. I also applied power to the pins on the mirror while off of the door and they both worked. As soon as i plug them back into the truck they dont work. Other than a bad ground, which I have already checked for can anybody help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here, I even took the switch apart, cleaned it and checked every pin.

When I apply power to the motor circuits, by shorting the pins in the plug, the mirrors work. The switch works because I can test it with a VOM. I took the switch apart. I went to a Ford dealer and told him I'd buy the switch if it was the switch. They took a brand new switch plugged it in and mirrors still won't work. The sliced the frame/door wire bundle rubber boot to check the wiring, all the wiring checked and ohmed out.

But mirrors still don't work, and yes, the fuse is not blown or I couldn't get the mirrors to move by shorting the pins on the socket.

So I'm stumped as well.

I have recently bought a used 02 explorer and the power mirrors wont work. I pulled the mirrors and checked for power at both mirror plugs. I have power for every axis of the switch. I also applied power to the pins on the mirror while off of the door and they both worked. As soon as i plug them back into the truck they dont work. Other than a bad ground, which I have already checked for can anybody help me?

Same here, I even took the switch apart, cleaned it and checked every pin.

When I apply power to the motor circuits, by shorting the pins in the plug, the mirrors work. The switch works because I can test it with a VOM. I took the switch apart. I went to a Ford dealer and told him I'd buy the switch if it was the switch. They took a brand new switch plugged it in and mirrors still won't work. The sliced the frame/door wire bundle rubber boot to check the wiring, all the wiring checked and ohmed out.

But mirrors still don't work, and yes, the fuse is not blown or I couldn't get the mirrors to move by shorting the pins on the socket.

So I'm stumped as well.

Welcome aboard! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

I have the shop manuals and can forward diagrams, etc. upon request.

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

Both of my mirrors on my 2002 XLT will only work up and down, but not in or out.
I suspect the switch is the culprit but I don't have time to fix everything wrong with the car because I am already 55 years old :mad:

Ok. I got everything working. Seems like somebody was already inside the door snooping around. I went back for a second look at the wires. And just as I was told there were a few broken wires just before they entered the rubber boot to go into the passenger compartment. The ground wire was all boogered up and a couple others were rubbed down to bare wire. I repaired all the wires and added a little extra tape to the harness where it passes throught the boot. All my problems are fixedin this section of the car. The radio even stays on until the door is opened. Also noticed that the odometer lights got a little brighter. Thanks everybody for the help. Next project bearings in the rear end.

Ok. I got everything working. Seems like somebody was already inside the door snooping around. I went back for a second look at the wires. And just as I was told there were a few broken wires just before they entered the rubber boot to go into the passenger compartment. The ground wire was all boogered up and a couple others were rubbed down to bare wire. I repaired all the wires and added a little extra tape to the harness where it passes throught the boot. All my problems are fixedin this section of the car. The radio even stays on until the door is opened. Also noticed that the odometer lights got a little brighter. Thanks everybody for the help. Next project bearings in the rear end.

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

Both of my mirrors on my 2002 XLT will only work up and down, but not in or out.
I suspect the switch is the culprit but I don't have time to fix everything wrong with the car because I am already 55 years old :mad:

Check for broken wire in the boot. See my earlier post!

Thank you all for your really quick response. As soon as the temperature here in the midwest drops to below the boiling point of water I'll take a real close look! ;)

Back