Power Outlets - Are they Switched? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Outlets - Are they Switched?

dinom

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Can someone tell me if the second row (behind center console) 12V cigarette lighter outlet is always on, or is it switched with ignition?

I'm picking up my Limited today, but I am planning on powering my aftermarker DVD players with this, and don't want power to be on all the time.

Thanks,
Dino

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone tell me if the second row (behind center console) 12V cigarette lighter outlet is always on, or is it switched with ignition?

I'm picking up my Limited today, but I am planning on powering my aftermarker DVD players with this, and don't want power to be on all the time.

Thanks,
Dino

The 2 in the center council are on all the time, so I'd presume the 3rd one is as well.

Yep, theyre always live.

knowing Ford, they are always live. Every Ford I have owned has had them always live. The Volvo we use to have was not....and I hated it:mad: Pain for cell phone charging.

Im sure it wouldnt be too hard to add a switch or something if you really want it to be open when the Explorer isnt running.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'll have to wire into the fuse box to pick up a switched circuit.

Im sure it wouldnt be too hard to add a switch or something if you really want it to be closed when the Explorer isnt running.

Woops, I meant "Open" not closed:)

Power Outlets

Do/can any of the cigarette style power outlets be set to shut off when the engine is turned off? I don't see anything in the manual, and the three I have all seem to stay on (front of shifter, inside armrest cubby, back seat air controls).

Reason I ask is that I like to use an outlet powered heated seat cushion in the winter, and if I forget to turn it off, I'm looking at a dead batter on a cold morning. Had a mini-van before this that had two outlets in the front. One was always on, the other would turn off with the key and was very convenient for this purpose.

2011 model

Do/can any of the cigarette style power outlets be set to shut off when the engine is turned off? I don't see anything in the manual, and the three I have all seem to stay on (front of shifter, inside armrest cubby, back seat air controls).

Reason I ask is that I like to use an outlet powered heated seat cushion in the winter, and if I forget to turn it off, I'm looking at a dead batter on a cold morning. Had a mini-van before this that had two outlets in the front. One was always on, the other would turn off with the key and was very convenient for this purpose.

2011 model
Welcome to the Forum 72lemanscvbl. :wavey:
Looking through the manual, it seems that the power points, other than the 110V AC, do not turn off and are always active. The 110V AC will turn off after 13 minutes if the ignition is in the ON position without the engine running. Not what you wanted to hear I guess.

Peter

My wifes Fusion is same way

I think the only solution you may have to avoid leaving it on, is to rig it in a manner that would remind you. A tether for example to the keys. Arrive home shut the car off, grab the keys......ooops one small (tethered) problem.

:thumbsup:
I think the only solution you may have to avoid leaving it on, is to rig it in a manner that would remind you. A tether for example to the keys. Arrive home shut the car off, grab the keys......ooops one small (tethered) problem.

I really like your idea. I think that will at least keep me from forgetting.

Or just rig yourself a cheap relay triggered off of a power point that does shut off with the key - like the radio power.

Something like this , a voltmeter, some miscellaenous wire and parts, and an hour of your time should do the trick.

TIO_M indicates that the rear plug (2nd row air control) is switched. Probably turns off when the driver door is opened (like the MFT).

TIO_M indicates that the rear plug (2nd row air control) is switched. Probably turns off when the driver door is opened (like the MFT).

Thought I had tried that, so did again on all the outlets. No, it stays on, door open, key out etc. Mine is xlt, maybe on the Limited...

12 volt outlets

The 12 volt outlets do not seem to turn off. If you leave a phone or gps plugged in will they eventually drain the car battery? any add on adapters that time out?

correct me if I am wrong but only the top usb outlet is powered

The 12 volt outlets do not seem to turn off. If you leave a phone or gps plugged in will they eventually drain the car battery? any add on adapters that time out?

correct me if I am wrong but only the top usb outlet is powered
You are correct in that the power points are always 'live'. That is why the Owner's Guide states;
• Do not use the power point longer than necessary when the engine is
not running.
• Do not leave devices plugged in overnight or when the vehicle is
parked for extended periods.

I don't know about the powered USB port since I don't have anything that requires power via a USB port.

Peter

Can 12v convenience outlet be switched?

I have a 2015 Explorer on order. A fellow inspector has a 2014. He told me the other day that all of the 12v convenience outlets in his explorer are always on. (even when ignition is off) On my current Dodge Journey there is one outlet that is always hot. The remaining three including the one in the cargo area are only on when the ignition is on. I use the switched outlet for flashlite chargers and a small inverter.

Does anyone know if any of the 12v outlets are ignition switched or if there is an option in the vehicle computer that can be changed?

My other option I assume is to pickup the 12v charge lead in the tow connector I know it is switched and on my 2000 F150 so likely will be on the explorer.

Any input is appreciated.

Gadget

I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should 12V Interior power sockets stay on or turn off?

Silly question, but can anyone tell me what interior power sockets are supposed to do? Stay on when the car is turned off? Or turn off?

I power my Garmin GPS through the 12V power socket (used to be called the cigarette lighter socket) and when I used to turn the engine off it would signal to me that it had lost power and was powering down. Recently, however, it has stopped doing this and it will happily stay on when I leave the car? I am not aware of changing any settings, and I didn't see any obvious control settings that would change the power mode. I did have it in the dealer though, so they might have changed something, but obviously I don't know if they did? So I'm wondering if there might be something wrong, or whether there is something I can set to get it back to the old mode. I don't want to drain my battery by leaving things plugged in.

Thx..

Back