Power port rewire to switched type | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power port rewire to switched type

jmullan99

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer Sport Tr
I could rewire the power port (found on right side of console by passenger legs) but wanted to know if there is a simple way to change it to be switched with ignition rather than always on?

That circuit is wired straight to the power terminal in the PDB under the hood, with a fuse in the PDB. To make it switched, you'd have to include a relay that is switched by the ignition. There is likely a relay already in the PDB which could do that, but it's feeding other circuits now. So the high current of the power port will need a new relay, don't feed it from an existing one.

It's not too hard to do, there is room in the PDB to add a relay I think, there usually is. If you spent the time to identify which wires are needed to be accessed to do it, it would only take a few splices and add just one relay. I prefer to use all OEM terminals and wires if possible. Using generic wire etc, would be faster, since it's time consuming to go get used stock wiring from a similar vehicle. I'd get the needed extra relay terminals with wiring attached, from another Explorer PDB, and alter the path at the fuse(in the PDB). In the end, the power would go from the fuse, to the new relay, and then through the existing circuit(Connect the fuse output(not the terminal, the new wire and terminal) to the power relay input terminal, and the old fuse output terminal, to the relay output terminal).

That circuit is wired straight to the power terminal in the PDB under the hood, with a fuse in the PDB. To make it switched, you'd have to include a relay that is switched by the ignition. There is likely a relay already in the PDB which could do that, but it's feeding other circuits now. So the high current of the power port will need a new relay, don't feed it from an existing one.
Thanks Don. I will have a look at that. Sounds easy enough. Just need to identify the proper fuse.

Back