Power Seat repair or conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Seat repair or conversion

user0047

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have been attempting to repair my power seats in my 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am really stuck on this and am asking for help.

My wife and teenage daughter need to share the car, but the driver's power seat is jammed. The motor so far seems OK - but the seat moves very slowly, and only with manual encouragement in the desired direction.

I have tried three attempts to repair so far - each so far failed.

1) I removed the seat and turned the jammed track bolt - that is the very long mechanical screw on the passenger side of the seat. I turned it a couple of rotations in both directions. At one point - it even seemed like it was unjammed and should work. Put it in - plug the electiricity - same results: Anemic seat movement if at all.

2) A friend of mine had told me I could easily swap in a manual seat. This is an attractive option to me - a manual seat would be just fine and I would never have this problem again. I would just have the one mismatched seat - whatever that screams about my lifestyle.

I went to a junkyard and found a seat - $90. Bring it home - remove the original seat. One of the holes doesn't line up. It looks like it needs some sort of foot bracket or something. It is a frontward facing hole - but I need to bolt it into the floorboard; so trying to make a perpindicular to parallel fit. I looked at the foot bracket on my other seat - it is attached with some sort of rivet.

3) Went to the junkyard a 2nd time - found a power seat from a 2005 Ford Explorer. All the holes seem to fit. Take it home, put it in, everything lines up, this is going to be great. I go to plug the wiring harness in - it is a different wiring harness. I have three plugs (blue, gray and green); this seat has two plugs of a different shape.

I am beyond frustrated. My next option is to go to the junkyard again and start a Ford Explorer drivers seat collection. Maybe I could use them in my game room - need to get a game room.

Can anybody help with this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Back