CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD 302
Hello, has anyone ever taken apart a power seat track? I need to swap motors between two seat tracks.

I have several stock power seat tracks from 95-01's, and I want to build a pair of memory seat tracks. The memory seats have a few unique parts, one of them being the three motor set in the seat track.

I have all of the parts, but I need to figure out how to take apart the seat tracks down to the motors. Then I'll swap the motors from a spare memory seat, to a passenger seat track.

Has anyone taken these apart before?

Here are a couple of pictures of the 99 Limited seat I want to swap the motors out of;

Attachments

• 99Limitedseat track1.JPG
    99Limitedseat track1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 11,904
  • 99Limitedseat track2.JPG
    99Limitedseat track2.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 5,769

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have taken them down, I had to remove the Memory Seat Module in my Limited Seats, and make them like a standard Power Seat.

It was honestly no different than all the GM power seats I have played with over the years.

Ryan

Have you seen the motor assemblies removed though. I can tell on the 95+ tracks how to get the center section apart, except for the one shaft that runs the fore/aft adjustment. A few bolts get the rest loose, but I didn't see a way to get those shafts out that go into the track engaging the long screws(fore/aft).

I guess I should take a few pictures and post them. Maybe someone will recognize what I'm talking about. Later,

Does anyone know how to remove the motors from a 95-01 seat track?

I know this is a really old thread, but did you ever figure this out? I am looking to use the motor from the passenger seat to replace the bad one in the drivers seat on my 99 XLT.

I did swap the motors between left and right. There wasn't anything odd to have to fight with, just the few bolts that hold the motor brackets in.

The motors are the same left to right, other than the memory seat motors which have internal sensors, and their extra connector. You can swap them easily.

I found a source for the seat tracks new(NOS), about $75 or so for the normal tracks. I'd like to buy the memory seat version to get the motors from it, but they want too much for the whole seat track to be feasible for just getting the motors.

I did swap the motors between left and right.
I found a source for the seat tracks new(NOS), about $75 or so for the normal tracks

I'm in need of the up/down motor. Can you tell me the source you mentioned? Also I trust it is removable?

Many thanks,

McSpeed

The motors are sets of three, you change them as a unit. Check eBay, for Explorer NOS parts, that usually finds most of those. The regular motors used to be available that way, I was after the memory seat type, which weren't there.

The left and right are the same, besides the memory seat type.

Hi CDW6212R
I see the bolts that hold the motor bracket in but how did you remove those shafts out that go into the track engaging the long screws(fore/aft).
Thank you
Tony

It's been over two years since I did that, but basically only take out the small bolts at the motors and the brackets which hold the motor set. Once you do most of those, it will be out.

Sorry to bug you but.. If i undo the small bolts at the motors do you remeber if the drive shafts stay in the motor or detach from the motor when you pull the motor.?
Tony

The small shafts going to the motors are simply flexible steel cables, like some flexible Dremel shafts are. They easily flex to come out of and into the motors. it should become obvious once you look it over well and see which little bolts hold the motors still. Just start with the motor bolts(not the long bolts holding the three motors together), and work your way out. It only takes a couple of sockets IIRC.

Hi Don,
If you are still reading.
The motors came in today and everything went smooth. You were correct, it all became obvious as I did the removal. Thank you
Tony

Hi Don,
The motors came in today and everything went smooth. You were correct, it all became obvious as I did the removal. Thank you
Tony

TeePee where did you get your motors from and how much? I need to replace my passenger side

Hi Don,
Tony

Well done Tony.:salute:

eBay is still a good source for new seat tracks, or sometimes the motors. Remember that the motor set is the same for each side, except for the Limited model.

Most left seats will need work far more than the left. A great source for the seat motors, used, is the junkyard. Buy them from a passenger seat and install them into your driver's seat.

Most left seats will need work far more than the left.

What do you mean by this ?

Just to confirm the Limited seat motors are not interchangeable left to right (Driver to Passenger) so i would have to get a passenger side motor for the passenger side?

The driver's seat gets more use naturally, so the right seat is often not moved ever or for years at a time. Of course you don't know which vehicles have had passengers who played with the right seat constantly.

The Limited seat motor set is special, it has internal sensors, and an extra wiring connection. I don't think those will work without the memory seat module and wiring connected to it.

For the 98-01 Explorers, there are only two seat motor assemblies. Everything is the same, left and right, except for the Limited left motor set.

Here's a link to a new motor set($50) from an eBay seller I have bought a lot from;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150606784465?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have a used driver seat with all the motors intact. The up/down function does not work which is why I replaced it. Front/back does work. Not sure what caused the up down issue but that motor also works. The problem appears to be in the joint that transfers the power if that makes sense.

I will send you the motors minus the frame for $35 plus shipping. If you want the frame I can do that too.....just drives up the ship cost.

BTW the vehicle it came off of is a 2001 ST with 56,000 miles.

It is good info since I need to swap over a memory motor to my non memory track on my 98.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is good info since I need to swap over a memory motor to my non memory track on my 98.

Cool Kris, post some pictures when you do it too.

I've got a passenger track ready to go with a memory seat motor set I had extra. The wiring and module I'll do later, I put it off to see about mounting a different seat onto the tracks.

Back