Power Seat Travel - how far is it suppose to move? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Seat Travel - how far is it suppose to move?

BigE

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Power Seat Travel (drivers seat) - how far is it suppose to move? - mine seems to only move about 4" - does this sound correct - passenger side is manual and moves a lot further, even discounting the extra travel it has for easy rear seat entry - anyway, trying to understand whether something is out of adjustment or if the power seat option just has a much smaller amount of travel/movement and whether approx. 4" is what its suppposed to move

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That does not sound correct. Mine will move far enough forward that it just about bumps up against the dashboard and goes back far enough that its maybe 4" from touching the back seat.

Mine is only moving approx. 4" total - e.g. does not go anywhere near the dash or rear seat - wife is having problems getting it to move forward enough to confortably reach the pedals - just was trying to figure out if this is something I have to live with or whether there is a problem with the travel of the seat - does not appear to be anything obstructing the track that the seat slides on

jayhawkexplorer said:
That does not sound correct. Mine will move far enough forward that it just about bumps up against the dashboard and goes back far enough that its maybe 4" from touching the back seat.

same in my 00, both driver and pass

There was another thread about this a couple weeks back, use the search function and you may find something. I'd do it but I'm at work...probably shouldn't be on here right now. ha.

Check your seat belt buckle arm on the right side of the driver's seat. Use the power seat switch to try to move the power seat forward and back while holding the buckle out against your center console and/or moving it around. Oftentimes the buckle arm will trap the power seat movement and not allow it to travel its full range.

It's probably binding on the slide rail. My passenger (power) does the same thing. I have to hold the seat belt receiver and pull it back towards the seat inorder for it not to catch on the rail. Mess around, you'll probably see what I mean. :p

Sorry to restart an old thread, but I guess that's what the search function is for.
Anyway, I purchased my '00 Mountaineer AWD 2 year ago and the passenger side power seat has always had limited travel. Back then I figured out the belt buckle arm was binding, but never bothered to take the seat out to try and fix it.

Is there a solution if I do take the seat off to fix it?

mine was binding up the same and I couldn't actually see where but I just pushed hard on the seat while it was moving back and it came unstuck and has been fine for a year. I think something was stuck in the track. Mine goes forward far enough that it almost touches the dash, same a jayhawk

Mine goes up to within 2.5 inches of the emergency brake release handle and will go back 12 inches from that point.

My seat belt buckle slide rail was binding when I got my 99 sport in december. I couldnt figure out how to fix it, so I resorted to some teflon lubricant on that rail. All works perfectly now, no binding at all. I'm guessing itll have to be relubed every once in a while though, but whatever.

Back