• Register Today It's free!

power side mirrors help

kenny's2k

Reaction score
City, State
cortlandt manor, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
2000 mountaineer. limited. orig. owner, no mods, no damage.

both mirror adjustment stopped working suddenly.

no power to mirror switch. should power be present at the switch harness, and at which colored wire?

power at #1 fuse, fuse is good.

eight wires in harness for mirror controller, cannot id, but none are live wires.
eight pins in switch, one empty slot in connector. two common yelllow wires to one pin.

i think switch is good.

what is in the electrical canister in by the doors hinge? are there connections in there that could be dirty, wet, or broken?

puddle lamps and all other electrics in door windows and locks, keyless, are ok.

need help in diagnosisng.

thanks

ken,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thing at the door hinge

still trying to see why i have no power at the mirror switch, fuse is good.

can someone id what the black, wired, plactic cylinder in the door hinge is all about?

it is in such an awkward spot, it looks like it could be problematic if i try disassembly.

thanks again.

ken

I'm guessing you are looking at the wireing pass through from the door to the cab.. there are a whole bundle of wires that run through there, and they can get frayed. I had a door unlocking issue and seat memory issue, both caused by the wires in there getting frayed over time. Look in there and see if any wires are bad.

That mirror circuit(fuse) powers two circuits, I forgot what the other is. The fuse is tiny, like 5amps. There is one main power wire there at the mirrors, common to both.

The wiring in the door jamb is typically great, but some have had issues with wiring breaks, almost always the windows. The connectors there will not be bad or loose. The apparent breaks always turn up near the connector, where the wires have to twist, in the car section. The wires in the door never move, so concentrate on that section in the exposed rubber tube/hose. It takes a 10mm socket to disconnect that door jamb connector. Good luck,

thanks to you both.

i guess that is where i will have to look.

there is a 6 or 7 mm bolt holding it to the door and the 10mm is vertical under the plastic dust cap. it is in a tight spot and i am reluctant to chance damaging power to power door locks, windows, and puddle lights.

the second circuit that you mention is for a memory seat option, which i do not have. Power seats, but just like me.........no memory!

tried bring a powered jumper wire to the or/gn and left mirror moved, without touching switch. probably not the power input wire. hopefully, not looking at a short in the feed AND defective switch.

thanks again.

ken

Yes I have forgotten which is the main wire. I rewired my mirrors so that I can control them from the right side, I added switches to my RF door. I'll guess that it might be the orange wire, it's not black, blue, or red.

Back