Power Slot Rotors for a first gen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Slot Rotors for a first gen.

CBII

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Ok so I poked around and couldn't really find the answer I'm after.

Long story short I'm going to replace the rotors and pads on my 91 X.

Read lots about the power slot rotors in combo with the hawk pads. Priced them out and figured it was worth the extra money.

My question is what is the difference between 91-92 rotors from 93-94 rotors?
The power slot website only list rotors for the 93-94. I thought they where all the same.

Figured I'd find out before ordering.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure on this but the first thing that comes to mind that would be different is that the 93-94 had 4 wheel abs, so maybe there is something different on the rotors to accommodate an abs sensor. Whether or not these rotors would fit on a 91-92 I don't know.

I don't think the ABS in the front would result in different rotors.

Then again you never know...

Where is the tone ring on the front ABS? if its on the rotors then thats the difference.. Other than ABS, I can't come up with any difference.

~Mark

Where is the tone ring on the front ABS? if its on the rotors then thats the difference.. Other than ABS, I can't come up with any difference.

~Mark
Perhaps I should just play it safe and get new OEM replacements.

I'll get the parts guys to show me what the difference is when I stop there today.

We'll get the answer one way or another.

Another option is ART rotors.. They are Cryo treated. I have almost 200k miles on a set of rotors (never turned, but they need it now)

I noticed a difference in breaking power when I went to the ART rotors. I use "performance friction" pads..

They are close to $400 a set for rotors but they didnt' warp like OEM and they lasted my many thousands of miles.

Here is an old install/review I wrote years ago (prices and peoples names are outdated)..
http://www.objectexpected.com/explorer/art/art1.htm

~Mark

Well I poked around the junk yard today and there is a difference.

There are extra fins on 93-94 rotors for the ABS thing. They also felt heavier? Could have been just my imagination.

I'll look into those Art rotors, but will likely just get OEM replacements. I'm sure the new rotors will out last the truck.

I think summit has some slotted rotors for a 92 and there not to expensive of I recall correct.

yep summit extreme performance cross drilled and slotted rotors for 91-92 : 70$ a piece.

I don't think the ABS would in the front would result in different rotors.

Then again you never know...

Remember, this is a FORD were talking about.

Back