Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC

The real issue is that there are more kinds of ATF than you can name. They are not all appropriate for PS systems. There is only one power steering fluid, the choices are simply brands and quality. PS fluid is almost idiot proof. The fact that you can find old cars with leaking PS systems is proof that there are sufficient idiots out there to keep choosing the wrong fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The real issue is that there are more kinds of ATF than you can name. They are not all appropriate for PS systems. There is only one power steering fluid, the choices are simply brands and quality. PS fluid is almost idiot proof. The fact that you can find old cars with leaking PS systems is proof that there are sufficient idiots out there to keep choosing the wrong fluid.
Can you please explain why ATF won't work in the PS system? Like if the seals are leaking, what property (or lack there of) of the fluid causes the system to leak?

I have said it before, simply that power steering fluid was designed for the PS system. ATF was made for transmissions, and Ford has selected an ATF that they believe will work properly in PS systems.

I would prefer to use a fluid which was designed for the system. That some rack and pinion units(seals) are damaged by some ATF suggests to me that it is possible to have a problem with some kinds of ATF in a PS system.

I'd like to avoid that, and it is very easy to select power steering fluid, ATF is a big deal to pick between various kinds. Regards,

Can you please explain why ATF won't work in the PS system? Like if the seals are leaking, what property (or lack there of) of the fluid causes the system to leak?

It will work; its just not the optimal fluid for PS.

Is it possible that P.S.fluid may have higher concentrations of additives for the seals, as it is mostly used for "topping off" as opposed to full flush.
Normal people ;) don't go to the effort to flush the systems unless there are problems.

My ex-Ford mechanic neighbor changed my PS fluid today. He used this Mityvac unit to remove the old fluid. Not quite exactly sure on he placed the pickup tube under the hood though.

He would pump it up, and it would only draw fluid, I think.

He said it was one of the best tools he bought, and it was only $35 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1207462492&sr=1-1

31RFGF1HlmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

He also recommended buying a bottle of BG Power Steering Conditioner, along with the other fluids...

330ret.jpg

I like Lubegard, they have a good PS additive.

Is there any pics on the power steering flush being done? Just to make things easier. I ask because I am not sure which hose to disconnect. And then if I understand correctly one end goes into a bucket to empty the old fluid. And the other end needs to be plugged with something, correct?

I have 3 vehicles and I use 3 different fluids in each. In my "Work Truck *83 c*&$y 454 4x4 Suburban* I use 10w hydraulic oil, In my 82 Trans am I use Mercon ATF. Power Steering Fluid seems to be foamy..and easily hits 200*. In the 91 explorer i use Synthetic Power Steering Fluid. It is all relative to application. I use my Suburban off-highway alot (heavy equipt mechanic) and the Atf and Power steering fluid would over heat, now with Hydraulic oil it runs perfect. The Trans Am (road coarse racing , ie willow springs) I noticed sluggish response and quicker degradation with Hydraulic Oil, Power steering fluid would turn dark brown in less than one season, ATF works best in Trans am.......the ATF stayed the coolest and is good for at least a whole year, only 1 leak at pulley.
The explorer is a commuter and came with synthetic and has had no issues so ill keep using it! Just my 2 cents

replacing your fluid by doing a flush is a good idea i live in michigan and we had a a lot of rain last week and my truck sat for 3 days and when i drove it i got a violent shaking vibration when making a right turn so i checked all my suspension and decided to flush the PS fluid using a cheap siphon system and to find out thats what it was i think some how the fluid got moisture in it and did something so now it steers like a champ

Air in the system is what cause the violent steering wheel shakes. Turn the steering wheel countless times after filling to circulate the fluid. Drive very slow and carefully on a test drive. Take care,

Owners manual calls for type F automaic transmission fluid

The 1992 Ford Explorer owners manual calls for type F automatic transmission fluid for the power steering. I'm guessing automatic transmission fluid and power steering fluid are basically the same thing, as it doesn't seem to do any harm if you accidently put power steering fluid in when the manual calls for automatic transmission fluid. My Infiniti uses dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid in the power steering.

Power steering fluid is for power steering systems.

Have you ever considered that the power steering rack is designed to use ATF? Simply saying that ATF causes seal leaks in the rack proves nothing, unless you've run two side by side in the same conditions, one with ATF and one with PS fluid.
I ran ATF in the power steering in two of my past vehicles, one sold with 209k miles, another with 140k miles. Neither had any power steering leaks.
Granted, power steering fluid that may only be a couple bucks more is no big deal. I just don't agree that one is better than the other unless I see proof, I generally run what the manufacturer specifies, unless there is a known/proven problem with it.

Thanks, Aldive, for the how-to post anyhow ;)

Have you ever considered that the power steering rack is designed to use ATF? Simply saying that ATF causes seal leaks in the rack proves nothing, unless you've run two side by side in the same conditions, one with ATF and one with PS fluid.
I ran ATF in the power steering in two of my past vehicles, one sold with 209k miles, another with 140k miles. Neither had any power steering leaks.
Granted, power steering fluid that may only be a couple bucks more is no big deal. I just don't agree that one is better than the other unless I see proof, I generally run what the manufacturer specifies, unless there is a known/proven problem with it.

Respectfully, I use better logic to select PS fluid. Logically power steering fluid is for the power steering system. Unless someone(the manufacturer included) gives me definitive proof that transmission fluid is better than PS fluid for the PS system, I will always use the fluid made for the system.

ATF is made for transmissions, that car makers choose to use it in PS systems suggests a lack of caring on their part, going cheap if you want to be specific. Regards,

Don't automatic transmissions have seals made out of the same materials as those used in power steering systems? (example...front pump seal)
Why don't automatic transmissions experience "seal leaks" caused from using ATF?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Automatic transmissions leak around the front pump seal, shift selector shaft, and many other locations. I've seen newly rebuilt transmission leak many times.

My 12 year old transmission has no leaks whatsoever and I'm not using any power steering fluid in it. :p:

Back