power steering fluid or trans fluid in power steering? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power steering fluid or trans fluid in power steering?

rathrbcruisin

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I've only had this explorer for about 3 weeks and i was in the garage checking it out and decided to top off some fluids. So i put some old power steering fluid in the reservoir. Now i find out that i should be using mercon trans fluid in it? do the two mix? or should i drain and refill with trans fluid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mercon V ATF is what's recommended. Personally, I'd drain it and refill it. It could probably use a flush anyway.

That agcoauto article was really informative sws. Thanks! I have always checked and topped brake fluid with whatever brake fluid I had sitting on my garage shelf regardless of age. Not again. Also, it illustrates another reason why NOT to have a Jiffy Lube type store service your fluids.

Just use Mercon trans fluid. depending on how long it has been since it has been changed you might have to flush it, if your lucky you can just drain and refill the tank. For me the first flush was at 170,000 miles, and the fluid was very think and black, it took a lot of flushing to get it to look red again...

As I understood it, regular power steering fluid and Dex/Merc ATF are very similar. They are both light hydraulic oils. Dex/Merc has extra additives because the operating conditions inside of an automatic transmission are much more complex and demanding (extra detergents, anti-foam agents, etc).

In the power steering system, a lot of these properties are unnecessary. I think you will be fine with PSF in there. It's just a simple hydraulic system. That being said, it might be worth the 30 minutes to flush it out just for peace of mind. It's pretty easy. Pull the return line from the cooler in front of the radiator and let it drain, and refill.

As I understood it, regular power steering fluid and Dex/Merc ATF are very similar. They are both light hydraulic oils. Dex/Merc has extra additives because the operating conditions inside of an automatic transmission are much more complex and demanding (extra detergents, anti-foam agents, etc).

In the power steering system, a lot of these properties are unnecessary. I think you will be fine with PSF in there. It's just a simple hydraulic system. That being said, it might be worth the 30 minutes to flush it out just for peace of mind. It's pretty easy. Pull the return line from the cooler in front of the radiator and let it drain, and refill.

most of the time Power Steering fluid is more expensive then Transmission fluid, with the exact same stuff inside...

Back