Power Steering Fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid

Ian5700

Reaction score
My manual for a 1997 Explorer 4.0 SOHC recommends ESW-M2C-33F (UK manual) for use in the power steering system. I assume that i can use just normal mercon ESP-M2C-166-H or similar?

I have read somewhere on a ford service thing that they were changing over from using mercon to mercon V, but i assume that this is in later vehicles, and putting mercon v in 1997 explorer power steering system is not good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My manual for a 1997 Explorer 4.0 SOHC recommends ESW-M2C-33F (UK manual) for use in the power steering system. I assume that i can use just normal mercon ESP-M2C-166-H or similar?

I have read somewhere on a ford service thing that they were changing over from using mercon to mercon V, but i assume that this is in later vehicles, and putting mercon v in 1997 explorer power steering system is not good.

Haynes Manual says In 1991 to 1995 use type F automatic transmission fluid and 1996 and later use Mercon type automatic transmission fluid. I would not use Mercon V-type it does not mix with Mercon.

Just use regular Mercon or Dextron III. Mercon V is semi-synthetic and would just be a waste of money

-Drew

Drew, I don't think it's a waste of money. Ford has gone on record saying Mercon V is superior in all ways to Mercon and it can be used for any Mercon applications. I'm running a '97 Explorer XLT (V6 SOHC) with 240,000 miles and I pay the extra dime for synthetic fluids whenever I can. This really does help ease the wear and tear on older vehicles. Since I'm about to do the power steering I'm thinking Mercon V is the best... But I don't even know if it's fully synthetic? Or if there is even a fully synthetic option for transmission/power steering? If there is one. I'll buy it.

Back