• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid

mjo20

Reaction score
City, State
New York, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I have an 03 explorer V6 with about 115k on it. I know my power steering fluid is dirty and want to change it but can't seem to figure out what to use. I would like to use one of the high mileage products either by Castrol or Valvoline. My question is what type of fluid should I buy? Both of them make power steering fluid which is compatible with Ford it says. I know a lot of trucks also recommend using ATF fluid which they have products that are Dex/Merc and Mercon V and say they are both made for Ford.

Just a lot of info and I can't seem to figure out what is best and/or recommended for my truck. Any help would be great!

powersteering fluid change

there are afew ways to go about doing this you could 1. syphon out the fluid from the top of the resivoir refil it, start the vehicle turn the steering wheel from lock to lock afew times, shut it off, syphon it out again and refil , and repeat it 2 or 3 times , you can refil it with dex/merc high mileage from valvoline.

2. the less messy way lay under the front of the vehicle pull the clamp off the small power steering hose , gently twisy and pull the hose off. let the fluid drain into a pan from both the cooler and the hose approx 2 min. reconnect the hose and clamp , refill the resivoir start the vehicle and trun the wheel from lock to lock. drive the vehicle ensureing the air the is purged from the system by making left to right turns. check fluid lever. there maybe some slight shudderring felt in steering wheel till all the air is purged ...

Back